Thursday, April 2, 2009

Silent Protest: The Postal Service

One of my many silent protests.

Why silent? Seems so unlike me, I know. But, even I can recognize when my reasons for protests are either silly or somewhat unfounded...somewhat.

So here's the deal with the Post Office. A couple years ago (yes, years), I needed to mail a package to my mom. Unfortunately, the flat rate box with the adhesive was too small, so I had to upgrade to the larger, cube sized box...without adhesive. No problem, I thought. I'll just have them tape it with the Priority Mail tape behind the counter. Well, let me tell you, what a problem this was.

me: "Would it be possible for you to tape this box for me?"
Postal Employee: "No, I don't have tape"
me: (confused) "Umm...there's tape right next to you...the Priority Mail one. This is a Priority Mail package."
Postal Employee: "Oh. That tape is not for you."
me: "Excuse me??? Who is it for?"
Postal Employee: "To label Priority Mail packages."
me: "I just told you this was Priority Mail."
Postal Employee: "There's tape for you to purchase over there."
me: "Are you serious?? You honestly expect me to purchase tape when you have tape right next to you?"
Postal Employee: (silently stares)
me: "Forget it. This is ridiculous."

So I leave. Upset. Quite upset. Tape the package at home. And ever since then, I've been finding ways to get even with these stingy postal workers.

Today, I had yet another package to mail to my mom. And I brought my own tape from work.



Yup. Tape gun. It got a few stares...which I enjoyed.



But the box available was too big for my pistachio cookies. Hmm...what to do... If only I had padding or newspaper of some sort...



Well, I had a feeling the Post Office might have something useful. It's amazing what fabulous padding 20 priority envelopes can provide.

So yes, I happily overuse Post Office supplies to pad/insulate my packages whenever possible as my silent protest. I know it's silly and childish and pointless, really. But, so were they when they refused to tape my package!

Tit for tat. Microecon at work.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

The postal protest, I can understand. But is this really the best time to be baking and distributing pistachio cookies?

"Pistachio recall widens amid salmonella fears"
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29993861/

Maryn said...

ha ha ha ha omg. classic clarice. your story is inspiring, really.