You were Varejao.
Ouch. Seriously. Judging by his non-reaction, I can scarcely believe he's not wearing some form of armor. He hardly even blinked!
But what would you do? Honestly, I think I would have to defend my honor...maybe some ankle biting? Blame it on the ninja/samurai in me, but I could not allow Ray Allen to get away with such underhandedness. I mean he is a Celtic...but still...I thought that perhaps even they had some sort sense of dignity. Silly me.
The moment I saw this, I knew it was going to be all over Yahoo! and sports blogs. Here's what some of them had to say:
Sportaphile: "This wielded three funny results which were: A) Varejao didn’t respond to being elbowed in the sack whatsoever, which either means he’s the strongest man on earth or has ... B) Instead of retaliating and smacking the [expletive] out of Ray Allen (which is what 90% of the population would have done), he holds his arms in the air and follows Ray around like Frankenstein. C) Varejao received a technical foul for his troubles. I'd like to think the referee gave Varejao a tech just because he was too scared to punch Ray in the face ... nobody likes a sissy."
I know we're supposed be talking about Ray Allen here...but I couldn't resist this one. Sissy. Hah.
SLAM Online: "Desperation can drive a man to do nearly anything."
Waiting For Next Year: "Allen's [postgame] remarks wreak of 'poor me.' His layup that was blocked by LeBron James will be played on loop for the remainder of the playoffs. His team had a shooting percentage of 15 percent at one point well within the game. But because he decides to get tangled with an opposing player, his reaction is two throw an elbow? I’m sure that will go over well considering the last time these two teams played, Glen Davis decided to use a clothesline instead of, you know, fundamental defense. Personally, I wouldn’t be surprised if Allen gets fined. Had the referees been in a place to witness the altercation from the appropriate angle, he may have been ejected. Opposing teams fans love to point the finger at Varejao, who obviously gets under the skin of a few people. I never think that Varejao’s always in the clear — I’m not that biased. But in this instance, I fail to see what actions took place that called for Allen’s cheap shot."I like how this writer also took the opportunity to call out Big Baby Davis.
And of course...there's always an outlier. Those misguided Celtics fans.
CelticsBlog: "While [The FanHouse] says "Varejao clearly didn't do anything to deserve that elbow." I say, umm ... did you miss the part where he trapped Ray's arm and tossed him to the ground in the first place? Now, did Ray's reaction look pretty dirty? Yeah, it looked pretty bad. Here's the thing though, he wasn't even looking at Anderson and he threw the elbow back, probably hoping to catch him in the gut and ... well, missed. Clearly he didn't make any solid contact or the man would be doubled over in pain (one would think). We'll see if Ray gets a suspension for a meaningless end-of-season game. I'm sure the Celtics haters will use this as further evidence to hate on the Celtics. Of course anyone who thinks they can call Ray Allen a dirty player needs to do a little bit of research before looking silly."
These dirty Celtics and their fans. Did Ray Allen's reaction look dirty? Heck! It was dirty! Unquestionably filthy! I needed a shower after seeing that bs. Going for Varejao's gut? Please! Are we watching the same footage? That was a clear elbow to the cajones. And then questioning if any contact was made. Ok dude, just cause Big Baby Davis would be balled up on the floor in a puddle of tears and Paul Pierce would need to be carried out via stretcher and to a waiting Medi-Vac helicopter to a local hospital, doesn't mean that all players are that wimpy. Some of them take it like a solider. A concept this Celtic fan is apparently unfamiliar with. And then going on to call us all silly???
Are you kidding me? Typical.
No comments:
Post a Comment