Saturday, April 18, 2009

What Are You In For?

Postures my traffic school teacher at 8 am this morning.

Most people are in for speeding, some for running red lights, a handful for rolling through stop signs and one other dude for illegal passing, same as me. Although, I take issue with the "illegal" part of my passing, but whatev. I mean, just the other day, I witnessed an Irvine cop do the same thing. Hmm...funny. I didn't see him in traffic school today or ever.

Having never been to traffic school, I thought that perhaps, as the name implies, I would learn something about traffic. But it was actually 8 hours of talk story with this ex-cop. Not an entirely bad thing, I suppose. Except that I missed 2 of the playoff games today. But he did have some interesting stories to share and I had more of those tasty tacos for lunch, and perhaps best of all, whatever drama I missed from basketball, I got from my class.

We were discussing things that gave us stress while driving...

Volunteer 1: My kids fighting.
Volunteer 2: Running late.
Little-Miss-Know-It-All: I think we are all ungrateful for the things we have. Who cares if your kids are fighting? At least you have kids. And if you're running late, it's your fault anyway. You should be thankful you have a job to go to:
Volunteer 1: (angrily whispering) She (Little-Miss-Know-It-All) must not have kids. Doesn't know what she's talking about.
Volunteer 1: (to teacher) Maybe you should just sit and let her (Little-Miss-Know-It-All) teach the class.
Class: Oooohhhhh!!! (me: blinking)

Guess you had to have been there. It was a pretty awesome showdown.

But not all was lost. The one thing I learned was how to look up your particular violation via the California Vehicle Code. He recommends that you always check your violation here and then decide if you can contest your ticket. What a wonderful idea. So let's see what I was ticketed for, shall we?

Section 21961: This chapter does not prevent local authorities from adopting ordinances prohibiting pedestrians from crossing roadways at other than crosswalks.

You can only imagine my surprise. Pedestrians?!?!?!!? What does this even mean? It was a passing violation! What the heck??? I can't even find the appropriate fine for this supposed traffic crime. Ridiculous.

I can't believe I missed basketball...Playoff Basketball for this.

No comments: