For those of you that weren't lucky enough to witness/be a part of snowboarding part one, it involved me falling down the mountain head first and feet in the air and creating a minor collision with Jeannie. And then continual sliding down the mountain. Slightly traumatizing, but a very efficient way to get down the slope.
But that was soooo 3 years ago.
This past weekend at Mammoth was much improved and without people collisions. Though this is not to say that it was all successful.
Falling is hard work. Especially the getting up part.
I just took a huge tumble a few moments earlier. An actual tumble!
But, cruising on the snow helps you to notice the panoramic view.
You can't really tell due to the clouds, but the sky is so pretty and blue in Mammoth. Reminds me of Maui.
But with a few helpful tips from Chris, things got much better for me in the second part of the day. And I also did benefit from the kindness of strangers. This one random dude gave me a little push when the slope flattened out, and I ran out of momentum. He was waiting for his friends, and was probably tired of seeing me attempt to scoot myself over the edge inch by inch. Literally. Inch by inch.
And of course, would my trip truly be complete if I didn't take an off-snow spill...or two in this case. Slip #1 was on Saturday afternoon on the way to the shuttle. It was just like in the cartoons, to be honest. I was carrying all my stuff and fell backwards and it all flew up in the air, and I was on my butt, hurt and confused. Slip #2 was far more embarrassing as it was on to dinner...and I knew there was ice, which I tried to avoid, but slipped anyway. Fell forward this time. Sigh. My poor wrists and knees are hurten.
When we weren't out playing in the snow, there were cookies to be made. Not by me, however. I was in too much pain. Karen made these wonderful raspberry thumbprints!
On the way back, we stopped at Smokehouse for some beef jerky and honey, and at Schat's Bakkery for lunch and a cookie.
Mmm...Oven roasted turkey sandwich! Cuoie also very generously donated his cookie to me. They know me all too well.
My only regret is that I missed most of the Conference Finals this afternoon. At least I had Yahoo! Sports play-by-play...but it's just so not the same. Through all the lead changes, the Cardinals won (yay)...sorry Kobe. I'm not too thrilled with the Steelers win, but it was expected. Flacco is a rookie QB, and honestly, not all that fabulous. Especially when he says things like, "Troy (Polamalu) was probably just able to read my eyes". This said in regard to the interception return made by Polamalu, which gave the Steelers their final touchdown of the game. Who says stuff like that? "Read my eyes"??? I mean, I know where he's going with this, but this is football, dude.
The Steelers are a self-proclaimed super rough team, with Ward saying that "sometimes guys get hit so hard, you don't know if they're going to get up". And so it was tonight. Ravens' McGahee took a hard helmet-to-helmet hit with a Steeler. He had to been carted off the field, but luckily, he seems to be doing ok. Check it out here.
Tomorrow is MLK Day, but instead of celebrating free at last...I'll be at work. Hmph. But! Perhaps most excitingly, the Lakers and Cavaliers play tomorrow! And I can watch it! I can hardly wait!!!
No comments:
Post a Comment