Monday, January 5, 2009

Aloha Oe...

You smell like poi...

By this time tomorrow, Nicole will be back in Northern California, where she will be greeted by 43-degree weather and clouds. But I don't feel too bad for her because she'll be back in 11 weeks for spring break. Hmph.

So to assuage her grief, we ventured to Cliffhouse in Kapalua. It's not a beach as much as it is rocky, but it's extremely picturesque, peaceful and ideal for some amateur snorkeling. For this all day excursion, we loaded up with $30 worth of spam musubi, hot dog musubi and breaded teriyaki bento from Takamiya Market in Happy Valley. Buying bento at Takamiya always brings me back to my Wailuku Elementary field trip days.



Mmm...I love those red Maui hot dog musubis.

Cliffhouse is a little off the beaten path...as you can see.



And dangerous is right! I almost tripped over a cord and slipped on some rocks and suffered an attack from a few rouge tree branches.

But the view from the trail sort of compensates for my scrapes.



So pretty and clear.



At Cliffhouse. Even though you can see the rocks pretty easily, the water is quite deep...at least 10-15 feet would be my guess.

My tube was put to good use today during my mini snorkeling excursion, where I saw lots of colorful fishies, sea urchins...and!!! Hawaii's state fish, the humuhumunukunukuapuaa...humus for short. Puaa means pig in Hawaiian, and supposedly, this little fishy's nose resembles a pig.



Cute, huh?

I found a flat rock to cruise on. And this is what it looked like below.



The rocks were pretty jagged and slippery, which was solved by Nicole's idea of wearing tabi's. Yeah, they were hideous, but we had many jealous stares from onlookers when they saw how fast we scaled the rocks.



Yet, despite our tabi's Nicole still managed to sustain a minor injury to her knee when the current shoved her into Fafa Island. She would.



Fafa "Island" is that giant rock on the right.

And to top it all off, my dad was going through his magazine collection and found this 2003 SI issue featuring Kobe.



But of course, he had to add that Lebron was also mentioned in another article. To which I replied, "Yeah, but who's on the cover? I thought so."

Recently, he's been making headlines. Poor Lebron...getting teased for his crab dribble/travel.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

way to rub it in. school sucks