Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Girls' Day!

Yes, it's a legit holiday/festival. Well, a Japanese one, that is.
Every year on March 3, local Hawaiians celebrate Girls' Day aka Hinamatsuri, or Doll Festival. Why not Japan? Well, once upon a time there was a Girls' Day and a Boys' Day (May 5). However, some years ago, Girl's Day and Boy's were combined into Childrens' Day, also on May 5. I was slightly disappointed as I enjoyed the segregation.

So perhaps your next question is: What does one do on Girls' Day?
Well, some fancy Japanese people have a complete doll set (hina=doll in Japanese), which they display. The Wachi Ohana are not said fancy Japanese people. We have dolls, but not the set as pictured below.

It's pretty massive. Takes up too much real estate.
My sister and I each have a doll that we got from our Grandma, so they're pretty old, but we're not talking Antiques Roadshow.


Looks kinda like this...but not as fancy. And mine is chubbier. Of course.

Girls' Day is also an excuse to eat mochi, but since that doesn't seem so popular here, I just made cookies for everyone. In elementary school, our teachers used to make the boys put up the girls' chairs at the end of the day. I never got on board with this. I can put my own chair up thankyouverymuch.

To be honest, I'm not really sure what goes on for Boys' Day, but I do know that you fly these koi outside your house. You have 1 koi/boy...and the little koi are for the kiddies.



I know you're probably thinking this is all so silly. Dolls? Fish? Cookies? But just wait until 3/14. It gets better.






No comments: