Friday, March 27, 2009

Eating Around

A fav past time of mine.

I usually only get to partake in this type of eating when traveling, but this weekend I accompanied Jeannie (roomie) to LA...and I guess that's a trip as good as any. Yet another sign of the recessionary times. But this of course does not mean my tummy is going into food recession. Heck no. Priorities.

On Friday, we met up Kandyce and Prasanth (think croisannt, but with a P) for some Korean barbecue...only to be followed by an oversized bowl of shave ice at Guppy House. From this excursion, I decided that not all Guppy Houses are created equal. This one in Rowland/Hacienda/Diamond Bar/Brea/where ever we were was a lot nicer than the one in Irvine.



This is the small size. Erwin seemed pleased. Or just hungry. Hard to say.

Saturday was the main event in terms of eating. We kicked the day off at Griddle Cafe in West LA. This place is known for its oversized pancakes, waffles...and well, everything in general. The extensive menu has tons of breakfast selections (always a plus) as well as normal lunch offerings...sandwiches, salads and such. Of everything we ordered, my fav thing was this peanut butter filled french toast. Nothing I would ever order...but sooo yummy. The pb was blended with sugar for a yummy filling and the outside of the french toast was carmelized and crunchy.



And that whipped cream was amazing! Surprisingly, this was just the right amount of sweet.

After that massive breakfast/brunch/lunch, I had every intention not to eat until dinner time. Until we went to Surfas (fav store in recent memory)...and saw this!



A massive line to the elusive Kojis! Koji's Tacos is a traveling taco truck that serves up what else? Korean BBQ themed tacos. On the menu includes short rib tacos, tofu tacos, pork tacos as well as burritos and specials. On this particular day, we sampled the short rib and tofu tacos, pork burrito and kim chee quesadilla. The best of both worlds? I'd have to say not. I did enjoy the Korean BBQ and the vinegary slaw...but honestly, nothing special or worth waiting in that line for.



Koji's assortment. From left: pork burrito, kim chee quesadilla, tofu taco, short rib tacos, unusual crudite tray.



Short rib taco

But was worth the drive to LA was perusing the aisles of Surfas. I seriously luv this store. It's the most amazing and complete cooking store I have ever seen. Not only does it carry the most diverse selection of cooking goods (cupcake pans, boxes, sanding sugars, etc...I could go on and on), but it also has a huge selection of hard-to-find gourmet ingredients. Where else can you find mass quantities of Callebaut chocolate? Or pistachio paste? Or rare sea salts? Or super fancy imported Italian pastas? Or beer from the Maui Brewing Company?

No where. Trust me. I've searched.



11 lbs bag of Callebaut cocoa powder. I remember thinking who the heck needs this much cocoa powder? This was before I baked with it.



Hmm..well, I guess they would be an interesting garnish. But somewhere, there are 6 very sad and homeless snails.



If I bought these, I could never bring myself to eating them. Well...maybe just a couple.



My purchases. From left: Maui Brewing Company beer, pistachio paste, almond extract, cellophane bags, juicer, Callebaut chocolate chips, chunky rainbow sanding sugar, Valrhona unsweetened cocoa powder and white balsamic vinegar.

And to think! This does not even include all the March Madness going on! No wonder my marketing paper got no play time.

No comments: