Sunday, February 1, 2009

Super Duper Bowl!

"They (Cards) need to Hail Mary this sh*t", says Jeannie sometime before things got interesting. Very interesting.

But where to begin? Initially, I thought the Steelers' #92 100-yard (yeah, 100-yard) interception return for the touchdown was for sure going to be the highlight of the game. And dude can this guy run. I especially liked it how he completely lost his form as resorted to skipping as he approached the end zone. And then just lay there. And then was given oxygen. Poor guy.

Then, perhaps most exciting at this point, was the Cards safety...from a penalty?? Huh?!

Speaking of penalties, this game was littered with them. Which was fine by me. Lots of holdings, face masks, unsportsman conduct, roughing the holder and of course, personal fouls. 1st and 27? Hurten. While the Cards lost over 100 yards in penalties (those personals are costly), I believe the award for best personal foul goes to #92 (sorry I don't know his name). But let me tell you, #92 means business. He totally roughed up a Card. Pushed him. Punched him. Held him down. Then as he poor guy gets up, #92 shoves him to the ground. Seems like I'm not the only one watching UFC.

But before I get too excited about #92, the real play came at the very end from Holmes (MVP). On the Steelers' 1st and goal attempt, the ball slipped through his fingers. Literally! But a completely different story on 2nd and goal. I didn't even see him catch the ball because there were 3 Cards all over him. Amazing.

And of course there were the commercials. I wasn't too amused with most...but I did enjoy this one featuring Polamalu. Who knew he had such a tiny voice?

But what would the Superbowl be without food? Here's what we had:



Beef and Black Bean Chili (recipe courtesy of Bobby Flay) topped with avocado and lime crema and served alongside tomatillo and cheddar cornbread. And being from Hawaii, it was of course eaten with rice...and I added portugese sausage to the chili. Because what's chili without portugese sausage? It was pretty labor intensive, especially considering I had to somehow manufacture my own chili powder...but it was yummy. Although, next time, I will purchase my ancho chili powder, already powdered.

Last night, or rather early this morning, I watched Federer and Nadal compete for the Australian Open. Federer put up a pretty good fight, in my opinion. I mean, sure he double-faulted at the end, but...it happens.

But apparently, Roger is having a hard time coming to terms with the loss. Wait. "Hard time" is an aggregious understatement. He's a mess. Sigh.

From Yahoo! Sports...

“God, it’s killing me,” Federer said, crying, as he tried at first to accept the runner-up plate. He returned to congratulate Nadal within minutes, saying: “You deserved it. You played a fantastic final.”

After collecting the trophy from Laver, on the court named for the Australian great, Nadal put his arm around Federer.

“To receive this trophy from Rod Laver is a dream for me,” he said. “Rod, thanks very much. It was an amazing two weeks for me.”

Nadal seemed pained by Federer’s anguish.

“Roger, sorry for today. I really know how you feel right now,” Nadal said. “Remember, you’re a great champion, you’re one of the best in history. You’re going to improve on the 14 of Sampras.”

Nadal goes on to say that "today, there was a lot of emotion on the court". No kidding. Apparently, off the court as well. Sigh. I miss football already.

No comments: