Saturday, February 28, 2009

Car Chronicles

Sigh.

It all started off with a routine oil change. Well, ok...maybe not so routine. I was at 5,000. But that's besides the point. So as with most places, you always need more than an oil change. Or so they tell you. Apparently, I needed transmission fluid, brake fluid and something else. Seeing as how I neglected my car (5,000 over for my oil change) and I never changed any of said fluids before, I thought what the heck. Why not.

So a couple hundred dollars later, my car is supposedly good as new. Supposedly being the operative word here. And it was fine...for a day! And then it started jerking and the gears just weren't engaging fast enough. Then, it started to rollback when I changed it from reverse to drive. So I'm thinking that perhaps I have a slow leak in my tires. Who knows.

Here I am checking the air and inflating my tires. They were flat. Go figure. Why would I expect this car repair place to check the air in my tires??? I mean, they're just rotating them!!



Playing with tires is a dirty job.

As it turns out, I don't have a slow leak, and it's back to the drawing board. Erwin (Jeannie's bf) is kind enough to help out. Apparently, my car is leaking transmission fluid. Great. They didn't screw the thingy on all the way. Basically, I have little to no transmission fluid! And my coolant is way low and! my braking fluid is low! (which they supposedly changed.) and! my power steering fluid is low! and! my oil is too high!!! What part of my car is actually working is still unknown.

Because I now think I am more competent than these "mechanics", I'm off to Kragen to buy my own coolant and power steering fluid. And with Jeannie's help, my coolant is shiny and new!



We even made a funnel. MacGyver would be proud.

So the moral of the story is...change your own stuff for your car. You're guess is just as good as those mechanics...excuse me, "mechanics".

No comments: