I can do better. I can do anything better than you.
Or so Lebron would like you to think. Now, don't get me wrong, the rivalry and sh*t talking are some of my favorite aspects of competitive sports. But let me tell you what isn't: this whole issue of showboating. And who epitomizes this better than Lebron...oh excuse me, I mean King James. (cough, cough)
As my fellow Kobe fans will recall, (and I'm sure even non-Kobe fans took notice) he had a pretty monumental game on Monday night. Some would say historic. And rightly so. His 61 points is now the new Madison Square Garden record as the highest number of points. All in a day's work. His reaction? Obviously happy...said he did it in light of Bynum's injury, and even a little surprised when the KCAL9 reporter informed him of the new record. No chalk tossing here.
And Lebron? He finished his night with 52 points and a most talked about triple-double. A hard-fought one at that. Jump. Crash. Boom. Into the photographers. Check it out here. His reaction? In his own words, Lebron said that we "saw every aspect of [his] game...the scoring, the rebounding, the assists." Just for clarification purposes, I suppose. I mean, he might as well have said, "take that Kobe!"
I'm tired of hearing about how Lebron's triple-double outdid Kobe's recording setting performance. Let's be real: the reason why he hustled so bad for that last rebound was so that he could say he did it, and Kobe didn't. Yeah, really. And that camera crashing? Just an added bonus. Almost like a game to him.
Admittedly, Kobe can't compete with Lebron in the area of showboating. This dude has cross-over commercials with football, showcases his dance moves for an insurance commercial...I've seen this guy in a comic! And let's not forget his ubiquitous chalk toss. I mean, Holmes certainly hasn't. But isn't that what makes Kobe so awesome? He's business. And this is business, not personal...like in The Godfather. He's usually seems pretty serious, sort of keeps to himself, which I enjoy...and why not? Everyone already knows how wonderful he is. Certainly doesn't need chalk, football/insurance commercials or even a Lebron-style triple-double to prove it.
Courtesy of Yahoo! Sports
Poll Results
What was the top Garden performance?
Bernard King's 60 points
4%
Michael Jordan's 55 points
22%
Kobe Bryant's 61 points
41%
LeBron James 52-point triple-double
34%
59072 Total Votes
I can hardly wait for Sunday!
No comments:
Post a Comment