What else could you ask for?
This supper club of sorts was the grand scheme of Maryn, Marsha and myself. You may remember Marsha from the "BFF Setup" entry. Yes, that Marsha! She's great! And sooo very knowledgeable about all things food. She introduced us to the most wonderful raviolo filled with the fluffiest ricotta cheese and a runny egg yolk...and did I mention that it was draped in the most amazing browned butter?? To quote Marsha, "We're gonna need more bread."
She was so right.
I'm pretty sure that this browned butter was no ordinary butter, but in fact, was some sort of imported European butter...perhaps from Italy. It was just so darn buttery and creamy!
So this past Sunday, we ventured off to Osteria Mozza in Hollywood. The Osteria is right next door to Pizzeria Mozza and just as fabulous. The atmosphere is definitely more buttoned up and posh, but with a beautiful wrap-around marble bar and wreaths of dried chiles as decor...how could it not be?
And the food was aaaammmaaazzziiinngggg! If you go, which you must, the mozzarella bar is the place to be. First, you get to sit at the aforementioned wrap-around marble bar...and you get to stay as long as you like! The offerings from the mozzarella bar are unusual, but everything totally works! Radicchio and spiced, candied walnuts with burricotta? Yum. Pancetta and grilled escarole with burrata? Mmhmm.
We ate, we drank...and ate more...all of that browned butter to be specific. I can officially check Osteria Mozza off of my to-eat list in LA. Next? Lucques? AOC? Yes and yes!
Sooo when I haven't been drowning myself in browned butter and mozzarella, I've been quite busy in the kitchen. Here's a quick peek.
Perhaps the largest frittata I've made. With broken strands of linguine, deli turkey, arugula, oyster mushrooms, mascarpone and milk from my favorite milk producer!
I know I've talked about this dairy before...but the Strauss Family Creamery in Berkeley makes the best cream and milk. Why? Extra thick and creamy. So much so that...
You can scoop it off the top and eat it like cheese!
Nutella white chocolate chip cookies. These were my little Frankenstein cookies because I combined 2 cookie recipes with some success. They were nice and chewy, but rather thin. I was sad and first...until I realized that they would be ideal for ice cream sandwiches!
Snowball cookies. With ground toasted pecans, butter, lots of butter and lemon zest. Because I luv lemon zest and powdered sugar.
Chicken with marsala, mascarpone and dijon. Topped with chopped arugula and lemon zest. This chicken attempt was a near disaster. It was originally supposed to be chicken marsala with mushrooms...and it looked so pretty on other blog pages. But mine turned out flat. I tasted chicken, marsala and mushrooms all separately. Weird. The recipe called for a few pats of butter to finish the sauce...but my chicken was beyond the help of butter. But...I happened to have some mascarpone cheese (talk about buttery) and some dijon to cut through the richness. And my chicken was saved. I just ate this with rice, but I think it would be pretty fab with some pasta.
Hamburger string beans. Plantation food. I think Eileen (Mommy) would approve. Ok, well, she wouldn't like that I didn't cut the string beans on a bias...and the eensy bit of curry powder I added...but otherwise authentic.
2 comments:
I am SO jealous of the sunday supper club! I hereby proclaim myself honorary member...no...honorary QUEEN! Just kidding. Things can get a little carried away here in lil' ol' Indiana....heh...
Woooo hooo Sunday Supper Club! It's not a club. It's a fabulous fine dining revolution.
Post a Comment