Work. Really, it is. Well, among other things that shall remain nameless.
But what is a PPM exactly? To be honest, I couldn't really tell you. I just recently added this acronym for private placement memorandum a few weeks ago. After attempting to draft up the first few pages of one, I have concluded it's a way for you to somehow procure funding for your business.
Theoretical business, in my case.
So for one of my MBA classes, we are tasked with creating this so-called PPM. First, you think of a fabulous business and then you attempt to translate all its fabulousness in your head on to paper. Apparently, PPM's require precise attention to detail! Does the link to the sample posted on Blackboard work? Of course not! What was I thinking? And we're back to my original plan of winging it.
As you may have suspected, my theoretical business is about food. And you would be right. Dessert foods, to be exact. A little catering business of sorts. There may be a dessert truck involved. There may also be mailing lists. I may also have "hired" a CPA. Hah. This just gets better by the minute.
Ohh but there's a twist! If I learned anything from my first year (and approximately $50,000 tells me that I darn well should have), it's that you need a point of differntiation. So! My little theoretical dessert company is offering...low fat and gluten free varieties of desserts! In addition to full fat ones, of course. I mean, please. You're talking to someone that buys 1 lb of butter every week.
That may give you pause. I realize that the whole 1 lb of butter per week may discredit my healthful treats. But that's why I "hired" a nutrionist. Mmhmm. Problem solved. Dirt off my shoulder.
And now, for a little taste of my PPM:
"As consumers have become increasingly educated on their food sources and associated health benefits, they also have begun to look for more healthful dessert options. However, we will not comprise our commitment to quality and believe that healthful desserts can still be tasty. For these more healthful options, our pastry chef and nutrionist will use creative ingredients such as applesauce, spinach, carrots and zucchini in our baked goods."
Applesauce? Spinach? Carrots? Zucchini? I know. But that's the "theoretical" aspect to this business. And yes, I'm really turning this in. I'm aware of the high degree of ridiculousness.
But on the real business! I recently baked up a batch of what was supposed to be crispy, salted white chocolate chunk oatmeal cookies. If only I realized that I didn't have white chocolate chunks. Or any sort of iteration of white chocolate. And did I mention that I ran out of sugar? Ran out! What kind of baker am I? I can't let my theoretical investors find out about this. But luckily, I had milk chocolate chips and powdered sugar to supplement my lack of sugar and just barely enough brown sugar to get by. And after all my little unexpected subbing, the cookies turned out quite deliciously...even though I absolutely luv white chocolate chunks in my cookies.
Crispy, Slightly Chewy, Milk Chocolate and Pecan Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Cook's Illustrated
You must be thinking who the heck am I to adapt from Cook's Illustrated. But truthfully, all I adapted was the milk chocolate chips and pecans. And what a yummy adaptation, in my opinion. And like I said, this recipe is pretty sturdy...as it withstood my sugar crisis and powdered sugar supplement.
1 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon table salt
14 tablespoons (1 3/4 sticks) unsalted butter, slightly softened
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
3/4 cup to 1 cup of milk chocolate chips (I like the fancy Callebaut variety, and I swear it makes all the difference, but I will leave this up to you.)
3/4 cup toasted pecans, chopped (I toast mine in an 375-degree oven for 7-8 mins...but everyone has their own way)
1/2 teapoon flaky sea salt (like Maldon or fleur de sel) (for sprinkling on top)
**Note! The original recipe calls for a sprinkling of fine sea salt atop each cookie. I believe this is a matter of personal taste. I like the eensiest bit of sea salt on my cookies...but not everyone appreciates the brine. Just something to think about.**
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheet with parchment paper or Silpat. Whisk flour, baking powder, baking soda, and table salt in a medium bowl.
2. Beat butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Scrape down bowl with rubber spatula, then add egg and vanilla and beat until incorporated. Scrape down bowl again. Add flour mixture gradually and mix until just incorporated and smooth. Gradually add oats and milk chocolate chips and pecans and mix until well incorporated.
3. Scoop out a scant 2 Tbsp (I may have done less) of dough. Roll between palms into balls, then place on lined baking sheets about 2 1/2 inches apart. Using fingertips, gently press down each ball to about 3/4-inch thickness.
4. Sprinkle a flake or two of sea salt on each cookie (if going salty)
5. Bake until cookies are deep golden brown, about 13 to 16 minutes, rotating baking sheet halfway through. Let cool on the baking sheet until firm enough to transfer to cooling racks. They can be fragile, so make sure you use a nice, big spatula.
And finally! A demonstration of the power of scotch guard!
I had a little water spill in my car, and I didn't realize my dry cleaning scotch guarded my clothes. But I am thankful for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment