Friday, May 1, 2009

May Day!

Is Lei Day in Hawaii...

But what is May Day really?

Wikipedia says that May Day has something to do with labor relations...or historically, it was meant to celebrate some Roman goddess of flowers.

Hmm...well in Hawaii, we make leis, have some sort of school gathering/performance and eat luau food. I much prefer this to whatever Wikipedia had to say.

We even have a song for this day.

"May Day is lei day in Hawaii
Garlands of flowers everywhere...
All of the colors in the rainbow...
Maidens with blossoms in their hair"

"Flowers that mean you should be happy...
Throwing aside a load of care...oh!
May Day is lei day in Hawaii
May Day is happy day out here."

Anything for a day off from school, right?

So as you may have figured, May Day is a pretty big deal in the islands. There's a May Day court and everything. Sort of like Noah's Ark, where you have two kids representing each island, and there is of course a May Pole dance as well as performances by each grade level.



I'm trying to remember the May Day performances from the Wailuku Elementary days...but all I can remember is La Bamba from the 1st grade...and for some reason, I feel like we did something to Bette Midler's "From a Distance". How else would I know that song?

No comments: