Saturday, May 23, 2009

Pizza, Please

Mmm...pizza...

One of my fav things in life...right up there with the Lakers. Not as high up there, but pretty high.

But, it's one of those things that's pretty hard to replicate at home....and sometimes best left to professionals. Unless you have one of those super cool wood burning outdoor ovens. In which case, you have no excuse not to make pizza.

So about halfway through my 8:30 kickboxing class, I decided that I deserved a pizza. But per usual, I couldn't decide on what kind, so I just went with three:

1. Potato and Arugula Pizza (a fav from Zinc Cafe)
2. Corn, Jalapeno, Cilantro and 4 cheese pizza (from Cheeseboard in Berkeley)
3. Margherita

Which worked well since I had most of the pizza ingredients at home...except the tomato and cilantro. So I went to the Irvine Farmer's Market for these two ingredients, and came home with this...



5 donut peaches, 1 heirloom tomato, and handful of baby zuchinni and squash blossoms, 1 bunch cilantro, 3 red grapefruits, 1 bunch tuberose, 1 bunch casablanca lilies...and 1 chocolate mint potted plant.

I luv my new little mint plant. I hope this one makes it through the summer. The guy I bought it from had a Hawaii shirt, so I felt the need to purchase something. The Irvine Farmer's Market has expanded quite a bit since my last visit, but the offerings are still a little slim. The produce is really nice, fresh and yummy, but I wish there was more variety. For that, I think I'll have to travel up to the Hollywood Farmer's Market. I'm in need of some rainbow carrots.

Anyway, on to the pizza! But first, a confession. I used pre-made dough from Trader Joe's. I know, I know. How could I?? But honestly, I'm not the best dough-maker and at $1, it's pretty much an offer I couldn't refuse.



Pizzas pre-oven. I didn't know what was gonna happen to them in the oven, so I wanted to show that they did look edible at some point. Clockwise from top: margherita, 4 cheese with white corn and jalapeno and potato with red pepper flakes.



Post-oven/broiler. I topped the potato pizza with a spinach salad (ran out of arugula).

While they were all quite yummy, the 4 cheese (feta, gruyere, burrata and parmigiano), corn, jalapeno and cilantro won. Although, the margherita was a close second...due to the deliciousness of the heirloom tomato. The potato was also yummy, but it made me really sleepy.

And I guess I need to address the Laker loss of Game 2 the other day...but here's what I have to say. Mike (Fab 5/misguided Laker fan) always trash talks to me about the Lakers. You can imagine the time he was having on Thursday. I was upset. He then offered me this "peace offering". Here's what I think about his peace offering and the Clippers:



As it turns out, he found the pretzel on the ground. Clipper fans. Typical.

Yay Lakers!!!

No comments: