Sunday, May 24, 2009

Farmers Market Fab

To answer your question, yes, I went to the farmers market today...again.

Two farmers markets in two days, and I couldn't be happier. (Sort of like 40 games in 40 nights...but that data point still needs to be validated).

So today, I finally made it to the Hollywood Farmers Market. I know, Hollywood? For produce? Believe me, I had those same thoughts 8am this morning for this. But, 3 freeways and 2 bags of farmers market goods later, it was definitely worth it.

Why?

1. The variety - Candy-stripe beets? Check. Rainbow carrots? Check. Wild arugula? Check. This market pretty much has very fruit or veggie (in season) that you want, and some that you didn't even know you wanted.



I know you can't really tell from this angle...but this zucchini are super Samoan size. And ostensibly organic as well.

2. The prepared foods - Sure farmers markets are never shy with sampling...but seriously, I can only eat so many peaches/strawberries/apples/oranges before I'm over it. Luckily, this farmers market has lots and lots of offerings. For breakfast, I opted for a pupusa stuffed with chicken and cheese.



I've never heard/seen/eaten a pupusa until today...but from what I can tell, it's very similar to a tamale...but flat. The outside is the same as a tamale and filled with whatever you want. Quite yummy. Although that side of pickled cabbage slaw and salsa really made this pupusa. It was like a Mexican kimchi.

3. Carmela Ice cream!

Yup, handmade, super premium ice cream. Only to rival the ice cream at Bi-Rite Creamery in San Francisco. Carmela Ice Cream offers inventive flavors (and seasonal, gotta luv that) flavors, such as cucumber, mint, strawberry lemon, strawberry basil and my pick of the day: strawberry buttermilk. And of course, you can sample all the flavors.



I thought the hand-written label was a nice touch.



I can't even begin to tell describe how much I luved this ice cream. Sooo creamy with just the right amount of air, but not too heavy, like super premium ice cream sometimes can be. They use strawberries from the farmers market (of course) and not too much sugar. So the ice cream was sweet, but just slightly tart from the strawberries and buttermilk. Good lunch pick.

So what did I end up taking home?

1 bunch eucalyptus, 1 bunch beets, 1 bunch carrots, a few rainbow carrots, 2 heirloom tomatoes, several peaches, a bag of cherries, a couple handfuls of fresh peas, arugula and smoked pistachios. Yup, hickory smoked and yummy.

Oh, and I picked up some Italian cookies on the way home from Susina Bakery. The ice cream was a small lunch. A snack, even.



Aren't they cute??

Now, I need to figure out what to make with all this stuff. Perhaps I will contemplate over a few of those pistachios.

Last night, I made Jamie Oliver's zucchini carbonara with that day's farmers market buys.



Ok...carbonara without the bacon. So I guess it was more carbonara for veggies.

And...Lakers won last night! Good game, too. Kobe's facial expressions were hilarious...but not as much as this quote from the announcers:

Pau had just dunked the ball with an assist from Shannon Brown, to which the announcer said:

"Now that's what I call boom, boom, PAU!" Pau, pow...umm...ok.

No comments: