Monday, May 4, 2009

Am I Ridiculous?

I take that back.

I am ridiculous.

For many reasons, but most recently for an encounter with a Trader Joe's employee. And I luv Trader Joe's.

Last week, I was at Trader Joe's in need of King Arthur Flour. Why King Arthur only? I don't have a concrete reason per say...but I bake exclusively with King Arthur Flour.



It's all-natural, with no bleach, organic and I think just overall better. And I'm pretty sure my brownies taste better, or at least have better texture.

So you can imagine my surprise when I noticed that Trader Joe's was noticeably out of my fav King Arthur Flour and replaced it with their private label flour.

me (to Trader Joe's employee): Umm...are you out of King Arthur Flour?
TJ Employee: Oh! We must have more in the back. Let me check.
me: Yay!
TJ Employee: Actually, we no longer carry King Arthur. We now only carry our private label flour.
me: Huh?? Why?
TJ Employee: Well, do you know the process of something becoming private label?
me: (still saddened/shocked) Noo...what happens?
TJ Employee: We buy the recipe and the process from the brand, so this is essentially the same thing as King Arthur Flour.
me: Excuse me? Do you have a 150 year tradition of making flour??
TJ Employee: Uhhh....no...
me: So it's not essentially the same, is it?

Geeees. What the heck. I don't know where my filter was that day. And it's not even a 150 year tradition...it's actually 200! Can't even get my facts straight.

And no, I didn't buy the private label flour.

1 comment:

PJH said...

Dear CP: Thank you, thank you, for your outstanding loyalty! On behalf of my fellow 167 employee-owners at King Arthur Flour — we ALL thank you. (And yourblog rocks...) - PJ Hamel, King Arthur Flour baker/blogger