Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Happy Boys' Day!

Well, it's actually Childrens' Day.

But, I've always celebrated Boys' Day (5/5) separate from Girls' Day (3/3), and I really don't feel like sharing. 

So what does one do on Boys' Day?

Well, if you have boys in the family you fly these colorful carp above your roof.  Or, if you're my family, you don't do anything.  Just me and Nicole.  Oh sure, there's my dad.  But no one flies just one koi (carp).

Or if you're me, you make cheddar and scallion biscuits.


I won't rhapsodize on what traditional Japanese people do...(especially now that it has been morphed into Childrens' Day) because or really what Hawaiian Japanese people do because I feel that I have been-there-done-that for Girls Day.  Twice.  But I will say that in Hawaii, boys seemed to luv Boys Day even more than girls and Girls Day.  I can't recall the exact festivities, but I do distinctly remember the girls having to put up the boys' chairs at the end of the day.

And I was not happy about it.  At all.

Oh, and about the koi.  The koi...you know those pretty colorful fishes you see in small ponds and water features?  They are meant to symbolize strength, I think, well, I'm pretty sure.

Happy Boys' Day!!

No comments: