You know what the problem is about having a glimmer of baking inspiration at 9pm?
Well, the fact that it's 9pm. And I'm pooped. And I have work tomorrow. And I start school again on Thursday. The nerve. Work. School. And did I mention my back started to hurt? I guess we can add "I'm potentially starting to get old" to my laundry list of complaints.
This leaves little time to fussing around the kitchen.
You see, this all started last night. Or more correctly late Saturday morning. I dragged home an armful of white and yellow peaches. But as I should've known, it's not yet peach season, and well, these little peaches weren't very peachy to say the least. But everything seemed to fall into place when I saw this Paula Deen recipe for something called Grandgirl's Fresh Apple Cake from Georgia. And yes, I realize the small detail of apples vs. peaches, but seriously, could 599 reviewers be wrong? Ok maybe not so small detail as peaches are infinitely more watery than apples, but I think it could work. Georgia is famous for their peaches, after all. And I had coconut! And pecans! And buttermilk, which some reviewers suggested as a way to reduce the oil. It was like cake serendipity.
But what was last night's cake serendipity was today's mehhh...more cake? Surely I'm more than just cake. At least, that's what I like to think. There are other things...like cookies.
Non-fat Ginger Cookies. I've had my eye on this David Lebovitz recipe for a while now. For a couple reasons. First, I've never had a non-fat cookie that I ever liked. That's an overstatement. I've never had a non-fat cookie that I have taken more than a tiny bit of before tossing it in the trash. And second, I really like ginger. I like snacking on pickled ginger in between sushi orders, and I adore it's warm spice in pumpkin pie. And I especially like it candied and dipped in chocolate.
And I really hoped to like it in these cookies. David Lebovitz declared these cookies to make the best ice cream sandwiches he ever tasted. Major street cred. But, as with most non-fat things, this recipe called for applesauce, which I carelessly forgot to buy. Very cookie un-serrendipity.
But I did have peaches. Peaches...peach sauce...peaches and ginger cookies! Yesssss. But at this point, it was past 9pm...past cookie prime time. However, I did still have out my handy dandy food processor...which I just used to make a puree for something that I have such high hopes for. I promise to tell you about soon. And so, taking advantage of the already out food processor, I decided that if I wasn't going to make the cookies today, I could at least make the peach sauce.
Part of the fun of preparing peaches, is drawing the big X's on their bottoms. This will make them much easier to peel.
Ice bath. First a dip in boiling water, then this? Not a good day to be a peach.
But see how easily those peels slipped off?
Peach sauce. Oh I know. It doesn't look like much. But it is quite tasty.
I am slightly concerned with how watery it is (much more so than apple sauce), but it made such a lovely peach yogurt with blueberries, that makes it worth making...even though it may not work for the cookies.
Peach Sauce
1.5 pounds peaches
1/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
pinch of salt
Mark the bottom of each peach with an "X". Place in a pot of boiling water for 25 seconds, and transfer peaches to an ice bath. Peel, pit and chop the peaches.
Add to the bowl of a food processor along with sugar, lemon juice and salt. Puree until smooth. Or leave slightly chunky.
I think a pinch of ground ginger...or even a sprinkling of bourbon would be great additions.
No comments:
Post a Comment