Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Picture Vacation

It's like you were there with me...but not really.

I just got back from my annual winter migration to Maui...and I have to say, I'm not entirely happy about it.

Sigh.

I miss the pidgin.

Sigh.

I miss the local people.

Sigh.

I miss the food.

Sigh.

I miss the sunny warm weather.

Sigh and sigh.

And I'm soon going to miss my tan.

Sobs.

But enough boo-hoo-ing. It was a great 2 weeks...and here's a few pictures.



Grapefruits from the empty lot at the top of the hill near my house. They belong to someone...just don't know who. Until then, I'm the official grapefruit picker.



Lunch with Nicole at Sam Sato's, a Maui standard. Sam Sato's claim to fame is their dry mein and also manju. Is there always a ridiculously long line? Yes. Do they take the phone off the hook because they have too many phone orders? Yes. Is it overrated? Slightly. As blasphemous as that is for a Maui person to say, I have to say it's true. I mean...it's good...but not worth all the hype. But! I still eat here at least one time when I'm home. And as you can see, we always go big. Left to right: chow fun, 2 teri beef sticks, 1 cheeseburger (the cheeseburgers are a fav of mine) and a large dry mein. For 2 people. 2 very hungry people.



While searching for Lenney, my chocolate brown llama, I stumbled upon the sheep entourage. Check out Lenney in the far right corner. It's like Where's Waldo!



New Year's was on Oahu...and so of course there were Leonard's malasadas! Oh how I luv Leonard's. They make these Portugese doughnuts as you order them and promptly roll them in sugar. So warm and crunchy on the outside!




Furikake seared ahi at Nico's on the pier. That cilantro aioli is good stuff.



New Year's Eve dinner at Yakiniku Hiroshi. Supposedly fancy beef from Japan. Quite tasty.



My mom's pumpkin pie. Still my fav.



Jumping off rocks in Hana. That's my friend Mason jumping off a 35 foot rock. I jumped off a smaller 10 foot rock. It was embarrassing. No pictures.



My sand rendering of a turtle. He's happy to see you.



The end!

No comments: