Thursday, January 21, 2010

I'm Only Happy When It Rains

Ridiculous.



I'm not. Waahhhhhh.

I'm cold.

And wet.

I don't have a working umbrella.

And can't go outside.

And not happy.

I have no food at home. Except butter, sugar, flour and eggs. But it's been too rainy for me to go to the grocery store. So tonight I ate a slice of the new Domino's pizza (surprisingly delicious), a slice of toasted raisin walnut squaw bread from Schat's, a few spoonfuls of my leftover canned Cuban style black beans and two little Hello Pandas.

Did I mention that it's hailing? And lightening and thunder?

Lightening really freaks me out. So in an effort to distract from all this weather hoopla, there's nothing left to do but bake. I might not have any real food, but I do have lots of things to bake with. Not to mention a 5-lb bag of wonderfully sweet oranges. I've been eating 2 a day, but they must be multiplying while I'm at work, because I still had about 7 when I got home. But now, I'm down to just 3. The others are now part of the mini orange chocolate chunk cakes I have cooling on the counter.



Yup, that famed combo of citrus and chocolate. And I'm not a fan. (Sorry to be such a raincloud in this entry) But, I had oranges and chocolate...how can I left my personal tastes interfere with baking fate? I would never. After zesting 4 oranges and juicing 2...and eating 1, I now have 5 mini loaves of cake. It's not bad as far as chocolate and orange goes. I just prefer my chocolate and orange separate. Very separate. I don't really understand how these two ever got paired up, but everyone else seems to think it's genius. Giada included. And I can't argue with her.

It's still raining, but cake baking has definitely brightened my otherwise cloudy day. And if there must be a song about rain, I think this one wins.




Yup. Much better.

No comments: