Despite the ridiculous amount of Christmas decorations everywhere, and the sales at the mall, I feel like this happens to me every year. It's like costumes, candy, turkey, pumpkin pie and then Christmas. But I really feel like it was just Thanksgiving. I mean it was though...wasn't it?
And now it's 3 days before Christmas, and tomorrow I'll be back home, and well, I just want my pumpkin pie back. I didn't have enough this year. But can you really have enough pumpkin pie?
Not that I'm complaining. I've never have much Christmas shopping to do. And I'll be home! Home! Away from work and school! And near the beach! And shaved ice! And my mom's pumpkin pie...which she better make...I hope she's reading this! And papayas! And the sun! I miss the sun.
Take that first day of winter!!
As you may have guessed (or already know), it's been a little cold and rainy here. Baking is a fabulous distraction. The oven keeps you warm and eating keeps you occupied.
Chocolate Peanut Butter Crispy Bars from Baked. A layer of candied Rice Krispies...a layer of melted milk chocolate and peanut butter...a layer of a lovely chocolate glaze! It's like a Reece's Peanut Butter Cup meets a Nestle Crunch Bar. I like mine frozen. And in extra big pieces. You will, too. Don't try to resist. You will only be cheating yourself.
No-Knead Cranberry Walnut Bread from Jim Lahey. It's true. Bread without kneading...and without much work either. He operates Sullivan Street Bakery in New York...where Baked Bakery is also located...why are they all in New York??
Fusili with Mushrooms, Marsala, Artichokes and Chicken Sausage from who else but Giada. Ok, I made this is in a moment of weakness. It's a cream sauce. With Parmesan cheese. But it has mushrooms...and artichokes...and it's really good. And I used half-and-half. So I guess that makes it a half-and-half sauce.
And now, my pan of lemon bars are cooling on the counter. Lemon bars...another thing I wish I liked. But I typically don't. They're always too much for me. Too gooey. Too sour. Too sweet. And it has a weird after taste. Makes my mouth feel funny. But with 4 Meyer lemons in the fridge and my annual migration to warmer climates tomorrow, I didn't really have a choice. Maybe lemon poppy seed something. But I zested 3 of 4 lemons for some pistachio and citrus biscotti. And the thought of tossing Meyer lemons was just more than I could bear. But for some reason...the thought of tossing out this lemon bars (if they turn out to be subpar), doesn't bother me as much. I feel like I at least tried to save them.
Too make them less lemon-y (I know...less lemony lemon bars...I'm ridiculous). I scaled back the lemon juice from 1 cup to 3/4 cup. I could only squeeze out that much juice anyway. And I spread a thin layer of raspberry jam on the shortbread. Because raspberry makes lemon infinitely more palatable.
So I'm hoping for the best.
No comments:
Post a Comment