Tuesday, August 4, 2009

One Down, Two To Go

Finally!

K.I.T.

Have one good summa

Don't ever change

C U next yea

I'm infinitely glad that we don't have yearbooks. I don't know what's worse...the pictures or the messages. Definitely debatable.

In retrospect, I can say that the year literally and figuratively flew by. So much so that I started to mix up my classes...am I in econ or marketing? Strategy or operations? Cost accounting or statistics? How many times can we read about Wal-Mart in one year?

But while in the trenches of classes, homework, tests and PowerPoint presentations, it often seemed like this MBA silliness (and it really was silliness at times) was never-ending. Just thinking about it makes my head spin. Spinning...hmm...

Here are some highlights from the year (in no particular order):

1. It's in the what? what? Evvviiideeennnccceeeeee...
2. Just kidding!
3. You know Juan...you know Amal...
4. Tit for tat
5. You finger me, I finger you
6. Look. Ok look. Now look.
7. Those knees!
8. Standard deviation and variance are like sisters...you know one, you know the other! Heehee!
9. No offense!

All from our teachers. Experts in their field and comedians. More comedic than they would realize/like to admit.

So what have I been up to in the mean time? Welll....

To start...



Failing at flat bread. It was supposed to be crunchy and wonderful. It was actually bready and not wonderful. Oh well. Can't win em all.



While in search for curry leaves, I smelled the most heavenly scent of toasted sesame seeds. And I was starving. And I luv toasty sesame seeds on bread. So I followed my nose to this bread line and discovered something called sangak. And as you can see from the sign, they take it pretty seriously. This one dude gave me a sob story to cut in front of me.

So what is it exactly? It's a huge sheet of flat bread...the flat bread I was supposed to make. It's toasty, slightly burned at the edges and covered with sesame seeds. You can read about it here. Or you can also just see below.



Mmm...toasty and delicious.

But...did I find my curry leaves for my stewed beets that I wanted to make? No. Sigh. The lady wanted to sell me bay leaves and grape leaves, but apparently she (like me) has never heard of the elusive curry leaf. I began to doubt its existence.

Apparently, it's legit. Ever heard of a curry tree? Me neither.

Anyway, curry leaf-less, I decided to make this salad with my beets and other farmers market finds.



Salad with strawberries, cherry tomatoes, beets, walnuts and figs. No curry leaves.



Because it's August, the farmers market has been especially fabulous. I guess the sweltering heat is good for the fruits. This was my lunch on Saturday. There was some greek yogurt drizzled with honey hiding under this fruit pile.



Arroz con Pollo. Surprisingly yummy. Although...I did make it with brown rice...and chicken sausage...and only chicken breasts...and I sprinkled on some green beans. It didn't have any vegetables! Ok, ok. So it's not really Cuban anymore. But it was super flavorful from the smoked and spicy paprika and cumin. The beer didn't hurt either. And I might not have seeded my tomatoes. I might have just halved cherry tomatoes...seeds and all. I liked it. And now I have 5 lbs of it.

But it hasn't all been foodie fun...there's was a bit of good news in basketball world...

Lakers waive Sun Yue

July 31, 2009 · Filed Under Los Angeles Lakers, News

The Los Angeles Lakers have waived guard Sun Yue, it was announced today.

“With the talent level and depth of our roster, the situation simply doesn’t provide an opportunity for Sun Yue to get the chance to play that he deserves,” said General Manager Mitch Kupchak. “We feel it is in Sun’s best interests to be able to go to a team where he can get the minutes to play and showcase his considerable talents. We appreciate Sun’s contributions to last season’s championship team, and wish him the best of luck with the rest of his career.”

“I want to thank Sun Yue for his professionalism and for the contributions he made to our team last season,” said Lakers Head Coach Phil Jackson. “Although Sun did not get an opportunity to play many minutes, he worked hard in practice and was a joy to be around. We also enjoyed the cultural influence he brought to our players, coaches and organization. Sun is a young player who will no doubt continue to improve in the coming years, and I wish him the best of luck.”

Ahem. "contributions to (the) team"..."a joy to be around"..."cultural influence"??? Now they're just trying to find nice things to say.

Yearbook talk.

Let's take a look at his stats, shall we?

Recent Career FG3PTFTReboundsMisc
Year Team G Min MAPct MAPct MAPct OffDefTot AstTOStlBlkPFPPG
2008-09LAL1002:47 0.31.127.3 0.00.60.0 0.00.00.0 0.00.00.0 0.20.30.10.11.00.6
Career1002:47 0.31.127.3 0.00.60.0 0.00.00.0 0.00.00.0 0.20.30.10.11.00.6

Wow...a whole 2:47 seconds? I know Alicia Keyes songs longer than that. I think I remember him playing...I mean "playing". A mess.

But as luck would have it, no school coincides with no basketball and no football. Which means...Shark Week 2009 here I come!

No comments: