Friday, August 14, 2009

Happy Creamsicle Day!

It's legit. I swear.

It's on Wikipedia! (Under Holidays and Observances)

And why not? Creamsicles/Fudgesicles were two of my fav ice cream goodies from small kid time.

Your's too? No? Ok...second favorite? Top 5?

So in honor of National Creamsicle Day, I made...what else? Creamsicle Cake. Oh? You haven't heard of it? Well, it's pretty big in Hawaii, as are most desserts with Cool Whip and pudding. Every time I make these Hawaiian desserts for my co-workers, one of them always says, "Wow, I can't remember the last time I had Cool Whip!"

Tragic.

So what exactly is Creamsicle Cake?

Well, there's nothing really homemade about it. A box of Duncan Hines white cake mix, a box of orange jello, a box of vanilla pudding and a tub of Cool Whip. I can't remember the last time I opened so many boxes to make a cake.



I didn't feel right about buying all this pre-made stuff. But, anything for Creamsicle Day.

Basically, you bake the cake according to the box directions (9x13 pan, please). Then you make plennyyy pukas in the cake, and pour the dissolved jello over the cake. Yes, all of it. I know, it seems like too much, but you'll be sad later if you don't use it all. Then you make the pudding with some milk, add the vanilla and orange extracts and fold in the Cool Whip. Frost away and chill.

So a few boxes and 1 tub of Cool Whip later...



And poof! Creamsicle Cake!

Confession time. You may have noticed this is obviously not a 9x13 inch cake. Well...see...I like round cakes. Especially the layered kind. It just seemed more celebratory. I would recommend that you do the same. 8-inch round. Layer. But...this cake is a delicate thing....resisted my layering attempts. The addition of the jello (even though I let it cool for over 30 minutes) made the cake extra moist (read: bad conditions for layering). Did the top layer collapse along the little fault lines made by my fork? Yes. (tear) Luckily, the frosting not only tastes yummy, but it's also great glue.

Feel free to layer if you wish. Just have extra frosting handy.

Creamsicle Cake

Note: This cake is a sweet one. Very sweet. Almost cloying-ly so, but hey, give it a break. It's supposed to taste like a creamsicle.

1 box Duncan Hines White Cake Mix
1 3-ounce box orange jello
1 cup hot water
1/2 cup cold water
1 3-ounce box instant vanilla pudding
1 cup milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. orange extract
1 8-ounce container Cool Whip

1. Prepare the cake according to box directions. (Don't you luv that?)
2. Cool the cake for at least 15 minutes.
3. Dissolve the jello in the hot water. Stir in the cold water.
4. Make pukas (holes) in the cake with a fork. Try to make them in a little rows.
5. Pour dissolved orange jello over the cake. (all of it...don't be scared, it's just jello)
6. Mix the vanilla pudding and milk. Add the extracts. Fold in the Cool Whip.
7. Top the cake with the frosting.
8. Chill for at least 4 hours...but overnight is best.
9. Serve cold.

Another note: This may seem like a lot of frosting, especially, if you, like me, don't care for frosting. But you'll want to use every last bit of it. Because it's good. That good. And plus, whenever I contemplate not using it all, I hear my mom saying, "Just put em all already. It's good. Everybody likes it. No waste." She's very persistent.

After making/eating/talking about this cake, I suddenly feel quite homesick. I miss all the Cool Whip and layered jello desserts at home. Which I won't be able to sample until December! December!!! My sister is going home tomorrow. Tomorrow!!! She was supposed to go home on Monday, but well...it's amazing what $200 can get you nowadays. In just a few short days, she's going to be nicely tanned like a certain salted butter caramel I've been wanting to make.

And I'll be well... just salty.

I know I've posed this question before...but, is it Christmas yet?

Oh well. Until then, Happy Creamsicle Day!


No comments: