Sunday, August 30, 2009

Happy Birthday Jeannie!

She's gonna hate me for writing that.

Oh well. MB>MC.

Last Friday was my roomie-of-8-year's (gasp!!!) birthday. 26th, to be exact. Jeannie's not too big on bdays...blame it on the old age, so this year, she opted to have Vietnamese 7 Style Beef for dinner.

Pause.

Huh? You've never had 7 style beef? Well, it's pretty much what it sounds like...beef prepared in 7 different ways. But how are they prepared is the better question...

Well first the waiters bring you a plate of leafy herbs and lettuce.



I have no idea what any of this stuff is...but I do know that the vine-y leaf thing is perhaps the most abhorrent leafy green I have ever tasted. And I luv leafy greens! But this one was not my friend. It made the left side of my tongue numb, and my mouth was extremely dry.

And this is what I had to wash it down.



33 Beer. Tasted like Bud Light. Maybe it was. Hmm...

On to the beef!

Style 1: shabu-shabu



It looks like pho...but not. I found that the beef was easily overcooked in this method.

Styles 2-5: Grilled assortment



Steamed meatballs, grilled beef rolls with onions, grilled beef rolls wrapped in grape leaves and grilled meatballs. The underlying flavor in this series was cinnamon and anise. Interesting. The little grilled meatballs were my fav.

Style 6: Beef broth soup




The lightness of the soup was a nice change of pace from the previous meatball extravaganza. Interesting enough this soup had star shaped pasta. Random.

Style 7: Grilled beef with lemon juice and red onions



I liked this one because it was lighter and the lemon juice tenderized the beef and was pretty refreshing.

So how do you eat all these 7 styles? Well, along with the herbs and such, the waiters bring you mounds of dry springroll wrappers and a dish of warm water. It's like build your own springrolls.

But what would a birthday be without cake? Or...a cake eating contest?



One bite...



Two bites...

I don't think I've seen 2 pieces of cake disappear so quickly...or messily.

No comments: