When I was in elementary school, one of our May Day performances (you may remember May Day from a previous discussion) was the song, "What's More American?" And every 4th, I am reminded of that particular day in second grade.
What's more American than corn flakes?
The 4th of July or Uncle Sam
What's more American than baseball?
I am, I am, I am!
I'm not, really. I don't even watch baseball. And I can't say I'm a cornflakes fan. Corn Pops, yes. But, I do like to eat! And that's definitely American.
Amazing lunch at Ikko in Costa Mesa. All this for $15. And entertainment. Jeannie and I sat at the counter and watched the sushi chefs systematically dismantle gigantic octopus tentacles. Fascinating. Those octopus arms were bigger than mine! Ok, ok. Maybe not bigger than mine. But pretty comparable. Squishy, too.
Chirashi. One of my most favorite things to eat for lunch. How else can you eat 10 different kinds of sushi in a bowl?
Jeannie and I did a double take when we saw this dude cruising around Irvine in this tiny thing. Fortuitously, he turned into the same plaza as we did so we got an upclose look at it. I wanted to sit on it...just for a second! And for pic purposes. But Jeannie rained on my parade and said no. Oh well. I guess this picture will suffice.
And although there was no real barbecue to be had, we did venture over to Sonya's place in Silver Lake for some fireworks enjoyment. But before that...I may have taken a walk to Alcove.
And I may have had a very delicious Reece's Peanut Butter Cup cupcake. And oh? Is that a handmade French Lemon Ginger tea bag? I think so. Was it soooo wonderful? Like you don't even know. They freshly make each tea blend by hand to order.
And I also may have stumbled upon a gelato shop on the other side of the street.
Strawberry Yogurt gelato from the Hollywood Gelato Company. Yes, yes...yogurt. I went healthy...I did just have a cupcake before dinner. It was actually quite tasty and slightly tart from the yogurt. A good pre-dinner snack.
And when I wasn't eating, I was staring at this and waiting for fireworks.
I don't think any Sunday LA excursion is complete without a visit to the Hollywood Farmer's Market. I l-u-v this place. This weeks finds include pistachio flour, golden raspberries, lavendar and these super sweet mango-nectarines!
Thanks to Mozza2Go on Melrose and Highland...just steps away from Mozza and the Osteria, you can now enjoy Mario Batali and Nancy Silverton's creations in your own living room. This takeout section of Mozza has only been open since Wednesday...but the wait for pizza to go was 1 hour! Hence this panini. It's not grilled...but the bread for the panini is very similar to the pizza crust at Mozza. A nice surprise. I had the prosciutto, mozzarella and arugula panini. And OMG! So so good. I normally would never get a panini from here, but considering pizza was not an option, I was all about the sandwich menu. I'm kinda glad I was forced into this because it was so insanely good. Something about the creamy mozzarella and the peppery bitterness of the arugula that really complemented the prosciutto di Parma.
But what really made this sandwich great were the little accoutrements of the pepperonchino and a little container of olive tapenade. I normally don't enjoy (read won't go near) olives. I think they're overly briney and bitter. But Mario somehow makes this great tapenade with olives and anchovies...I'm guessing. Something else I normally avoid. But Mario made it and included it in my panini bag. So I must eat it.
And remember that pistachio flour?
Pistachio shortbread. Sprinkled with vanilla sugar. Finally! A use for my vanilla sugar!
No comments:
Post a Comment