Monday, July 20, 2009

There's No Crying in Cooking

Or is there?

I mostly use this blog to write about my foodie adventures and creations...but rarely (ok never) my misfortunes. But not anymore.

Truth is, I've got a million of em. And, I try really hard to erase them from my memory...but why do that when you can immortalize them in a blog?

Hmm...

Just when you thought I didn't have any tears, I do have a small reserve set aside for cooking failures...and sad little scenes in animated features like Wall-E. Walllllll-eeeeeee! I think we all know what scene I'm referring to.

Sigh.

Moving on.

Most recently, I made a disaster of a normally amazing chocolate cupcake recipe. My favorite chocolate cupcake recipe. I forgot to add the sugar. The sugar! Of all things! Of course I realized this at the very end, when I went in for a little batter taste test. And at that point, it was too late. The baking chemistry was ruined. The little sugar molecules didn't stand a chance. But I baked them off anyway, hopefully that maybe...just maybe...it wasn't the end of my cupcake world.

But it was.

They were spongy...with a weird pudding like texture that I could not comprehend. Toss.

A while back, I decided it would be fun to make broccoli cheddar soup. Which of course, required that the soup be blended. Lesson learned: hot liquid + blender = massive explosion. Broccoli cheddar soup everywhere. Ceiling. Floor. Cabinets. Fridge. Me. Everywhere. I just sat and stared at the carnage before I could even contemplate clean up. This soup is the reason why I now have an immersion blender. Every cloud has a silver lining.

And then there was the time back in high school that my mom convinced me that olive oil = vegetable oil because..."you know, Clarice, olives are vegetables." Followed by, "what you think is in vegetable oil? Vegetables. Olives are vegetables." Well, when the Ghiradelli brownie mix says vegetable oil, they mean vegetable, not olive oil. Especially Costco olive oil. I could just smell the olive oil crisping away in the oven as these brownies...excuse me..."brownies" baked. They were terrible. But my mom, being the frugal person that she is made me take them to school anyway for some potluck. Everyone wanted to know what I put in the brownies. And not in a good way.

And then there's tonight semi cupcake debacle. First experience with a pastry tip. Never pretty, I guess.



Tasty? Yes. Picture worthy? Umm...no.



As you can see by swirly cupcake (my 2nd cupcake), I was over it by cupcake #2.

Blame it on the...? I don't know. Do better next time.

No comments: