Especially for the ethnic Thanksgiving that Nicole (sister) and I partake in almost every year.
And so was our dinner this year. This was our very first trip to Seattle, and we had no idea Thanksgiving was such a big to-do in this city...because everything (and I mean everything, including the Asian places) were closed. We attempted to sample some Trinidadian fare...but as you may have guessed...yup, closed. Even after I called them the day before!
Luckily...across the street, there was a little Mediterranean/Middle Eastern/Indian place with a nice "open" sign. Hmm...3 cuisines...1 restaurant. That combo always makes me nervous...especially after Nicole and Kara (Nicole's friend) sampled some Italian/Mexican fare (don't ask) with mixed reviews. But thankfully, Cedars did not suffer from this same identity crisis. The food was yummy, and our waiter was extremely helpful, especially since he "loved to make recommendations".
Here is what he ordered for us. I can't remember everything...but it was all very tasty and ethnic Thanksgiving fare. Just the way we like it.
The next day, we ventured to the famed Pike's Place Market in the cold, rain and wind. Umbrella-less (the hotel provided an umbrella, but no one wanted to carry it), we stayed mostly in the indoor area, and perused the fresh produce and plethora of assorted sea creatures. And then I see this...
I couldn't help but giggle.
After a quick walk through, we took the bus to the Fremont neighborhood of Seattle in search of some brunch/lunch. I had planned on visiting acclaimed brunch spot, The Dish...so we took a cab to hide from the drizzle. What a mistake.
Cabbie: "Oh good. You need a ride. I need work."
me: "Ha...umm...so we're trying to get to Leary/8th."
Cabbie: "I'm waiting for a job so...if I get called..."
me: (thinking...are you gonna kick us out if you get called???) "Umm...so the place is called The Dish."
Cabbie: "The Dish...you put food on the dish..."
me/Nicole/Kara: (stifled laughter)
Cabbie: "Hey...if you girls aren't in a rush...I hope you don't mind if..."
me: (thinking) Holy Sh*t. I just got us all killed.
Cabbie: "I'm not really sure how to get there..."
me: "Uhh..."
So we finally get there. Keep in mind Cabbie did not turn on the meter and creepy jazz music is playing in the car. The place is closed.
me: "Umm...take us to the troll."
We have more awkward convo. We arrive at the troll and we can't peel out quick enough.
The troll on Troll Ave. That's a real Beetle in his left hand.
We were pretty hungry and traumatized from the cab, so we decided to walk to our lunch spot. It was a mile away...up hill in the rain...but trust me, it was worth it. And, we needed the walk in preparation for these delicious Cuban sandwiches at Paseo.
OMG. So yummy. Please note the Chinese plates it came on. Perhaps the messiest sandwich ever...but something about the seasoned shrimp, super carmelized onions and aioli made this one of my fav meals in Seattle.
After lunch, we trekked down to Theo Chocolates, whose claim to fame is being the first all organic and free-trade chocolatier in the nation. Sounds legit. iPhone takes us on a little journey through some intense residential area, but we soon find our way there. Copious sampling ensues.
Clockwise from top: Pear balsamic, 'smore and lavendar, jalapeno caramel with salted lavendar on top. The chocolate was smooth and delicious. Yum.
What better way to enjoy chocolate than with a nice cup of coffee? And Seattle coffee, no less. We were referred to the Fremont Coffee Company...seriously good coffee. And I don't drink coffee. Really nice foam.
We bussed it back to the hotel and to our dinner location in the International District. Friday was our Vietnamese night, especially since Kara has never had pho!
Our dinner at Green Leaf. Dinner...or forest on a plate? You decide.
And what's dinner without dessert?
Chocolate explosion and banana creme tart from Ruth Chris at the Hyatt.
Saturday. The Dish has to be open today. We take the bus (no more cabs, remember) back to Fremont, and...
Eggs benedict with tomato, mushrooms and spinach. Mmm...hollandaise!
And...a little cupcake trip to Trophy Cupcakes and Party in Wallingford.
I had the lemon because it looked like a cute flower.
Overall, such a fun place...very cold...but definitely an adventure. The protests and bums definitely added to the good times.
If this doesn't say Happy Thanksgiving...then I'm not sure what does.
Yup...that's King Kong...on a house...as a window...
Kara and umm..."Santa". What a great use of $2. I'm sure he appreciated it.
Nicole and me at The Dish.
1 comment:
the cuban place was a mile away???? you're lucky i only found this out after the fact.
to anyone reading this: my head is not that large in real life
Post a Comment