Sunday, November 9, 2008

I Do What I Like

Finally!

For the first time in the past few weeks, I have not had a single school thought. But alas, I know it's fleeting. School starts up again on Tuesday, so I thought I would take full advantage of this weekend and just cruise.

Saturday: Beach Day

It's been a while since I've seen the ocean, which is such a shame since I live pretty close to it, and I really (really) need a tan. 1,000 Steps is a pretty nice beach by Cali standards. The water is semi-transparent, and the seaweed problem is minimal. And, the best part is that it's pretty empty and secluded. I don't know if because the entrance is so nondescript...or the 200-some steps that deter beach goers.


The way down.


See? Pretty empty.


The sand was a little on the coarse side for my liking.


And the way up. Holy Moly Guacamole. Worse than it looks.

It was super relaxing to watch the amateur surfers and skim boarders. Why people swim into the wave, rather than with it, I'll never understand. The most interesting part was this group of girls that lit up...right next to me, too. Like it was nobody's business. Like they were opening a bag a Cool Ranch Doritos.

Which got me thinking about lunch. And the walk up those stairs definitely necessitated something yummy. Unfortunately, Laguna Beach isn't really known for its culinary delights. However, I can usually count on Zinc Cafe on Ocean Ave for something enjoyable. I usually dine on the potato and argula pizzette, supplemented with their "sunrise" drink concotion of orange and peach juice with fresh raspberry puree. And Saturday was no exception.


Sunrise drink. Is it worth $3.25? Nope. But I enjoy it.



Potato and Argula Pizzette.


See...the potatoes are so crispy and yummy.

I know what you're thinking...Potato? Pizza? And with a salad on top? Let me tell you, it's genius. Really, it is. The pizza dough is crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside. The potatoes are garlicky and crisp with a smooth interior. And the argula salad with the broken balsamic vinaigrette adds just the right dose of bitter and spice to the roundness of the potato and cheese.

Sunday: Cooking and Lakers

With my new found free time, I decided to embark on a new culinary adventure. For breakfast, I made English Muffin Napoleons, with sliced mozzarella, tomato, avocado and eggs. Salsa would have been a nice touch. Next time.


Kinda cute.

And for dinner, I decided to go way out of the ordinary and made shrimp and clams in spicy tomato broth. I don't really care for clams...too oceanic for me. Jeannie also joined in the fun and made us a crab. He was quite feisty!


Quite the restless crab. He kept moving around until the very end.


My contribution. I still don't like clams.

And now, it's almost Monday.

No comments: