Thursday, March 17, 2011

Rainbow Cake

Even though today is St. Patty's, my office is having a potluck tomorrow. Go figure. I signed up to bring these adorable little mushroom tartlets a few weeks ago, but during my nightly online food stalking this week, I noticed that everyone is crazy for these rainbow cakes. And upon further research, the trend can be traced back to a certain Martha Stewart. Swoon! Of course! She thinks of everything!

Seeing as how I had a little free time on my hands, I decided to give it a try for tomorow's potluck. I mean, it was either make an experimental rainbow cake or do my taxes. Priorities! Side note: as I was making the cake, my mom called me to see if I did my taxes. To which I said, no, I'm baking a cake.

I decided to make mine like a real rainbow, like this one. Lofty goal, I know. But it used a box cake mix, which as cake snobby as I am, I do love a good Duncan Hines cake mix. Only Duncan Hines though. And so I was off!

Mixing colors!


Piping colors!


And totally making a mess.


But it was just so pretty!


And this was the big ohhh sh*t! moment. I was supposed to keep each color inside the other...like little concentric bands of color. Hmm...oh well. Still looks cool. It's just going to be a half rainbow as opposed to a full one. Potato, potatoe.

I baked it at a lower temperature to avoid doming on the top.


It didn't work. I shrugged it off.

And I of course had to have a tiny piece! Who cares if it's 11pm? I had a smallish dinner.


So it's more psychadelic than rainbow...but I think it's pretty cute and festive! I opted for a lemony glaze instead of a buttercream. You know, to be healthy.

1 comment:

Maryn said...

I love it!! So so cute!