Friday, March 11, 2011

Tsunami-ed

As I was settling into be last night, I decided to take one last peek an my email. Not something I normally do, but I wasn't feeling super sleepy, and I was hoping for a cure to my insomnia. Like any good business school student...correction, like any business school student that was at some point forced to subscribe to a online news source, I get email updates about current events. And I normally skip over those emails in favor of my Daily Candy updates. But the heading "7.9 Magnitude Earthquake Hits Japan" stopped my skimming.

I searched more for more information, and read that the earthquake had caused huge tsunami's along the Japanese eastern coast, and the tsunamis were now on their way to Hawaii. Growing up in Hawaii, you learn about tsunamis in elementary school. I wouldn't say they are common, but Hawaii has had a few. There is actually an inundation map on the inside of all the phone books. I know, phone books!

The 1st of the 3 waves hit Hawaii early in the morning. Maui was hit the hardest, with 8-9 foot waves in Kahului. School was cancelled and people evacuated to higher grounds in tents for the night.

 This signal is about 2 blocks from the water, and the picture is facing the ocean. The force of the water bent the pole, which is in front of the old Pizza Hut. It's so sad to see and hear about all this.

No comments: