Monday, March 14, 2011

Basic Country Loaf: Day 2

When I last left my culture (gosh that sounds so weird), just 1 day ago, it looked like this:

It looked almost edible. Or that it could perhaps be mainpulated into something edible. Maybe.

But today...just 1 later...my culture has turned into this:

It's bubbly...and umm...I think alive somehow. So much so that it stuck to it's towel acting as it's lid. And umm...it smells. Now, in my culture's defense, it's supposed to smell. In the calming words of my Tartine Bread book, "by this time, a dark crust may have formed over the top of the mixture, which is typical. Pull the crust back and note the aroma and bubbles caused by the fermentation".

Dark crust? Negative. (Whew!!) But I think we can all see the bubbles...and the aroma? Well, just be glad you don't need to smell it. I couldn't get the culture covered back up fast enough. My book goes on to say that it should "smell strong like stinky cheese and taste sharply acidic". I can vouch for the pungent stinky cheese smell...but I'm not sticking my finger in there for a taste. No way.

So all this stinky smell means is that it is ready for its first feeding tomorrow morning. I'm pretty excited!

But maybe more excited to wash the towel that my culture expanded on.

I pre-washed this in the sink because I was worried the little culture bits would clog up my washer. Yuck!!

No comments: