I don't know if you know, but I have a small obsession with all things BBQ. And how it pains me that I don't have a grill that I can hack into a smoker. I feel that good BBQ places here (in California) are few and far between, so when I hear about new ones, they're pretty high on my must-eat list. Like this place, but the original Venice Beach location. Or this place. But really, if I could pick any BBQ place to try, it would be here. On a Sunday. When they serve the beef ribs. Droooooool! Who needs baby back when you can have giant Fred Flintstone beef ribs?
But until I set up my smoker or make my way to Austin, I let my slow cooker take care of the brisket. Which isn't a bad thing. In fact, it's a pretty good thing...well I haven't really met a meat out of the slow cooker that I didn't like. Pot roasts, shoyu chicken, stew, Portugese bean soup, chicken stock, turkey stock...it's all amazing! And no fork required! Just plop everything into the slow cooker the night before and turn it on low for 10 hours and in the morning...
You'll have this! Well...almost. After you cool and slice the meat, of course. I know...what's up with the salad? Half the fun of BBQ is the amazing sides! The corn bread! The baked beans! The mac and cheese! The green salad! No, not the green salad. Sighhh.
Oh what's that? That lovely sesame bun caught your eye too, huh? Quite the looker, I know. I was quite taken with it as well. So steamy and soft straight from the oven. I may never go back to bagged again!
I mean...could you? These buns were ridicuously easy to make...even for me! A known yeast killer! Most of the time was spent waiting for them to rise and rise again, but completely worth it!
The chicken pot pie challenge.
So this all started off so innocently. My mom called asking what to do with her pre-cooked turkey breast she bought from Costco. I asked her why she bought something she had no idea what to do with, and I guess the fact of it being just $6 (what a deal, apparently) is enough to make you buy first and ask questions later. I suggested a chicken salad, but with turkey. Nope. How bout a pasta dish with some broccoli, lemon and olive oil. Big nope. I think I'll make a pot pie she says. Pot pie? Really? Blah. Whatever mom. It's your $6 turkey breast.
Who like pot pies? Lots of people, as I found out. I never really understood the intrigue of a pot pie, which to my understanding is a thick soup with crust on top. I like crust. And I like soup. But together? Meh...seems excessive. But, as it seems, many people are see it as heavenly perfection under a crust. Made famous by a certain Marie Callendar.
I will not be outdone by Marie. Especially when you hear someone describe her pot pies as having "carrots and peas in a creamy sauce that makes everything delicious." People go crazy for her pies. I don't know why. Especially that strawberry pie. Don't you wonder what the heck that corn syrupy sweet stuff is? Definitely not strawberries.
Hmph. Not amused.
Seeing as how I have never eaten a pot pie, it would be of course, premature for me to swear them off as "everything delicious." So I tried one. Marie's no less.
Ok. So it is creamy. But I mean, anyoneeee within arm's reach of a bottle of cream can do that. Psshhh. Actually, I found the pie itself to be rather skimpy. Mostly creamy sauce. Very little in the way of chunkies like peas, carrots and chicken. Come on, Marie, it is chicken pot pie. However, Marie's was the only pie that I've seen with a double crust. An actual pie. I guess that's mildly impressive. You know, if you're into that sort of thing. But it was good. As it pains me to admit. Everything delicious? Questionable.
If you haven't figured it out yet, a chicken pot pie throwdown of sorts is about to commence. And maybe a blind taste test.
Oh who I am kidding? Of course there will be a blind taste test!
No comments:
Post a Comment