But, I've always felt kinda silly about it. I mean...who researches (and seeks out) new restaurants and oohhs and ahhhs at things like pumpkin pancakes and apple french toast? Maryn, apparently...and thank goodness! I'm so thankful to have her as a brunch buddy.
About a month or so ago, Maryn, Marsha (new BFF via Maryn and Ashlyn) sampled the offerings at Osteria Mozza. Amazing! Our next dinner will be at Lucques for their Sunday Supper. But Marsha has recently become the proud owner of an adorable little puppy named Taro. Which I luv...for its poi dog reference. And as such, she is a little busy...so our little supper club will resume in December.
I can hardly wait!
Well, obviously. I mean, I just went to brunch today at another Suzanne Goin venture, Tavern. I think our brunch can be summarized into 3 categories: food, service and atmosphere.
First up, food. Which was totally satisfying and delicious. But how could you expect anything else from the same chef that operates AOC? I luved the crusty bread with pats of butter and...big flakes of sea salt! So you could salt your own butter! It was so simple, but so perfect for a pre-brunch snack. We had every intention of having brunch type food, but the Niman ranch beef burger just sounded sooo amazing (with fries, of course), so Maryn had that, and I had the french toast with caramelized apples and cider.
The Niman ranch beef burger was soooo juicyyy...like it dripped down my thumb. Always a good sign. And on toasted brioche! And yes please to the fries! Who knew a burger could taste soooo awesome at 10:30 in the morning?
As for my french toast, I knew it was with carmelized apples...but I didn't know there would be a caramel sauce! Such a good surprise. Someone must've told them my secret obsession with caramel sauce, or not so secret, I suppose.
Mmm...my french toast is taking a dip in caramel. At least there's some apples in there.
Another cool thing about Tavern is their assortment of pastries. So we of course had to order pecan sticky bun...with bacon. Mmm...
Ok seriously, who knew one little bun could garner so much attention. I swear at least 3 other tables were eyeing it...and some even ordered it! But come on, could you really say no to this? Take another look.
On to the service. But first a disclaimer. This place is located in Brentwood, so I guess maybe people here like a different level of service. Like...super attentive...and umm...hands on? Case in point. Maryn had a tree for a neighbor, and unbeknownst to us, one of its leaves found a resting place in her hair. But luckily...ahem..."luckily", our waiter spotted it, and proceeded to remove it from her hair! Hahaha! "Excuse me...I don't mean to play with your hair but..." I was trying really hard not to laugh. Unsuccessfully. Maryn tried really hard not to look freaked out. Semi successfully.
And finally the atmosphere. This place has such a cute little set up! When you walk in you can either go to the bar or to the bakery area. Once you walk through the bar, you go into the dining area, which is brightly lit thanks to the pretty skylights. And the chairs are so comfy and couch like. And there's cute little trees...so it's a nice inside/outside feel. I was sort of caught off guard by the people in suits and other seemingly fancy attire for a Sunday morning, but that's part of the fun.
And yeah, I might have gotten a couple little pastries to go. But they had chocolate croissants!
1 comment:
hee hee! The hair / leaf incident...it was as though I was being violated in some way...it truly seemed as though he was fondling my hair! ummm awkward
Post a Comment