Monday, December 22, 2008

Swimming with the Fishies...

Not to be mistaken with sleeping with the fishes.

Look how cute they are! (Top left corner)



The day started off a little cloudy in Makena...



Sooo we packed up and tried Wailea...best decision all day.



The water was so clear and slightly warm...but extra salty.



In honor of my dad's birthday tonight, Nicole (sistah) and I are making him dinner. The menu includes crab and ricotta cannelloni, sauteed swiss chard and chocolate cake with raspberry whipped cream. We went shopping for the ingredients...and Maui is just not conducive to cooking. Everything is soooo super pricey! This totally explains why I ate so much spam/vienna sausage/corned beef hash and string beans as a child. $130 later...(I saved $31.08 according to the checker), we are busy cooking, baking and washing dishes.



$6.19 for swiss chard...basically overgrown lettuce???

But luckily everything turned out yummy! Nicole's friend even stopped by to help with the crab leg cracking. And Nicole herself very skillfully deconstructed and lumped the crab meat and frosted cake.



Crab and ricotta stuffed shells with tomato-cream sauce. It was supposed to be cannelloni...but Maui no more cannelloni pasta.



The Birthday Boy and his cake. It's devil's food, courtesy of the Tartine cookbook with raspberry whipped cream and Kula strawberries.

My dad really enjoys King James...but I'm just not sure how he feels about his latest endeavor...a tv show, a "Friday Night Lights-meets-Entourage" type show. Hmm...I can't see Drama and Turtle lasting for more than 5 seconds in Dillon, Texas...but we'll see.

If it was up to me, I would open the show with this clip. Or maybe this one.

Well actually...definitely this one.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

wow. whoever frosted that cake is amazing. i've never seen anything like it. wow