Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Pho Sure

What is the perfect post-class/happy hour snack?



Ok...so this is a pretty big snack, so let's just call it a late dinner...a very late dinner. In my experience, the yummy-est pho can usually be found in some unsavory (and sometimes questionable!) establishments. Sometimes these places can be found next to convenience stores that sell things like this...



I think the cracked cover and layer of dust are nice touches...rustic, even.



Umm...if this will actually clean your toilet, then there may be larger issues to deal with.

With this in mind, you can imagine my surprise and skepticism when a few USC friends took a group of us to Thanh Long (I think) for some late night pho after the game last Saturday.


Complete with fancy light fixtures...and yes, that is a waterfall.



Plastic chopsticks in paper envelopes??? This confused me for a few minutes.

This place's claim to fame is their filet mignon pho...which unfortunately they were sold out of. So, I got my usual order of rare beef...large please. The broth was standard, but the beef was really soft and yummy. And they had these leaves that I really liked...but here's my dilemma! I have no idea what they are called. Apparently, everyone seems to know what it is in Chinese/Korean/Vietnamese, which is of no help to me.



Name that herb!


Brenden's very first bowl of pho! He even ordered it in Vietnamese...hahaha.

1 comment:

Ashlyn said...

OK, had to comment again b/c I know what this is!

It's a variety of the Japanese shiso leaf (perilla).

From Wikipedia:

Vietnamese cuisine uses a variety similar to the Japanese hojiso but with greenish bronze on the top face and purple on the opposite face. The leaves are smaller and have a much stronger fragrance than hojiso. In Vietnamese, it is called tía tô, whose standard pronunciation in Vietnamese is tử tô. It is usually eaten as a garnish in rice vermicelli dishes called bún and a number of stews and simmered dishes.