Clarice: (In the midst of Linguine Frittata prep) Awww!!! I forgot to get smoked mozzarella!
*note: "mozzarella" was said in my very best Giada-esque Italian accent*
Jeannie: Let's get it! I wanted coffee anyway! We can take the bikes.
Clarice: (ignoring better judgment) Ok!
And we're off.
Two Problems:
1. The bikes that we have are for Jeannie and her bf Erwin. So, Jeannie agrees to take Erwin's bike and I take hers. Jeannie's bike is too high for me, and Erwin's bike is too high for Jeannie. Hmm.....
2. I haven't ridden a bike in well...let' see....YEARS. Supposedly you can't forget because it's like well, riding a bike. I'm here to tell you that you certainly can forget how to ride a bike. It is entirely possible, and in fact was my harsh reality as I crashed into the garage. Sigh.
Well, I figured it out and rode off into the parking lot. Then, I hear it. Crash! Clank! Clank! Where's Jeannie? Uh Oh. She had a little mishap with too-high bike, which resulted in a crash landing. I wanted to go check on her...but that would mean getting off the bike I worked so hard to get on. So that was out of the question. Sorry Jeannie :) I knew you'd soldier through it.
Now we were officially on the way to Trader Joes in pursuit of the smoked mozzarella for my mini linguine frittatas. We arrive...and now for the dismount. Hmm...how to attempt? I'm pretty sure there's no graceful or correct way, so we just went with easy. And it wasn't pretty.
Jeannie's battle wounds from the crash. Her toe is swollen and is currently on ice.
Apparently, smoked mozzarella is a seasonal item, and tis not the season. So, we were off to Ralph's. But not before we saw this...
Super Spaghetti! It's as long as my arm! Erwin wondered why we didn't buy it...sigh...boys
Sadly, Ralph's did not have smoked mozzarella either, so I settled for fontina. I don't think Giada would mind. It's still Italian.
Don't I look ridiculous? Yet, I want a bike now. A vintage pink one with a basket.
Smoked mozzarella-less we ride home. As I turn the corner, I see a fellow biker. Uh Oh. What to do. And I have to turn! Too many things to think about. So...I hop the curb. Ugh. Awful. At least I didn't fall off. Sorry Jeannie :)
We make it home in one piece...relatively. Jeannie announces that a certian part of her anatomy that shall remain unnamed hurts.
The good news is that her injury was not in vain. The Linguine Frittatas and Orange Ricotta Poundcake were sooooo yummy! I was also inspired to make some crostini!
Linguine Frittatas
Crostini with fig jam, ricotta, walnuts and honey
Sorry...no pound cake picture. I just ate it...and forgot to photograph. Super yummy and moist from the ricotta.
All recipes, with the exception of the crostini, (that's was my little creation) were courtesy of Giada's new book Giada's Kitchen. My other fav celebrity chef, Ina Garten aka The Barefoot Contessa is coming out her new book Back to Basics on 10.28.08. And is doing a book signing. I would normally be jumping up and down with sheer excitement. But! I won't be able to attend. She's having a signing in Santa Monica on 11.14.08 (the day I'm heading up to SF) and another signing on 11.13.08 in Union Square!!! The irony!!!
4 comments:
You on a bike just doesn't seem right. But if you have to ride a bike, it definitely needs to be cute. Might I suggest rainbow streamers for the handles.
Big Ouch... The bike was just too tall and my legs weren't fast enough therefore face forward dismount. I deserved a 10 if I say so myself.
i hate ina. she should go back to her garden
ps once again maybe my feelings would be swayed if i received a signed copy of her cookbook
I admire you brave girls for taking the bikes out... in traffic... where there are cars!! I have also not ridden a bicycle in MANY, MANY years and my last attempt was equally not very pretty!!
Post a Comment