1. A cure for your hangover
2. When it's In-N-Out (Neapolitan shake included)
3. A cure for your insomnia
I'm claiming #3 for my recent lunch of greasy goodness that was Al's Palace in Costa Mesa. Though, I did not have insomnia. It's just that #1 or #2 did not apply...and it did make me really sleepy in the aftermath.
Singapore noodles (spicy curry vermicelli noodles) with fried rice and an egg roll. 3 carbs all on one plate.
Mongolian Beef (aka beef with assorted veggies) with fried rice and an egg roll
Pork Foo Young (still not clear what this is...I believe it's like a pork omelet drowned in gravy) with...you guessed it! Fried rice and an egg roll. Look at how thick that gravy is!
Al's gets major points for efficiency and value...the portions are huge for even a Hawaiian. Ok, that might be a bit of an overstatement. Plate lunches are pretty much this size, only heavier and also induce sleepiness immediately after consumption.
Until I find a decent plate lunch here in the OC, I'll have to amuse myself with my homemade crostini. They are my newest food obsession! I plan to make a new variety every week. So far we have...
Crostini rubbed with fresh garlic, mascarpone, black pepper and olive oil. Yummy!
I have to say, I was skeptical of this one...but all the flavors melded nicely together. The rubbed garlic melted into the toasted bread and the bread warmed the mascarpone. The black pepper added some spice to the creamy mascarpone and the olive oil added fruity-ness. All this crostini obsession has made me wonder what is the difference between crostini and bruschetta. So, I turned to Google. According to Epicurious, crostini and bruschetta are basically the same, except that crostini is usually made from a small bagette, and is toasted as opposed to grilled. Bruschetta refers to the bread and the method of cooking (grilling) over coals, otherwise known as bruscare.
Since I used mini-ciabatta and I lack a grill...or even a hibachi, I'm sticking with crostini. Besides, I like the ways it sounds! It's so fun to say! Crostini! Crostini! Crostini!
No comments:
Post a Comment