Saturday, September 27, 2008

Hello Hollywood!

Goodbye civilization.

I joke...sort of.

Today was sure to be fun-filled to begin with...

The Plan:
6:15 am: Wake up
7:45am-10:00am: Mock interview
10:15am-11:00am: USC bookstore bonanza
11:00am-11:30am: Travel to Susina Bakery (lunch and snack)
11:30-1:00pm: Lunch and study
1:00-1:40pm: Travel and parking time to Sharkeez at Manhattan Beach
2pm-5:00pm: Flip Cup

But getting lost really complicated things...

The Reality:
6:40am: Stumbled out of bed
8:00am-10:20am: Mock interview (got lost in LA)
10:30-11:05am: USC bookstore bonanza (and what a bonanza it was!)
11:15-12:00: Travel to Susina (got lost, very lost in West LA)
12:00-1:00pm: Lunch and econ review
1:00pm - 2:00pm: Travel to Sharkeez (got lost again...really lost in Hollywood)
2:00pm-5:00pm: Flip Cup

Honestly, for the amount of time I was lost, I did a pretty good job of sticking to my schedule. I think the day can be best reviewed by the number of "oh sh*t" moments I had. Today was by far a new record for me.

Where to begin?

6:40am: Getting up late isn't really anything new for me, but today this what "oh sh*t" moment #1. I hate being late to USC things because everyone is always there early! I manage to get on the road at 7:00am...15 minutes behind schedule. For whatever reason, I decided to exit Adams off the 110 as opposed to the tried and true Exposition. Why? Well, to be honest, that DMV creeps me out, and something is always closed there. But in hindsight, all that seems so minor in comparison to the events that followed.

7:45am: It always starts with one wrong turn, the another, and another and then a u-turn and mixed in all that is "oh sh*t" moment #2. This was a big one. Lost in LA. Crap. I started to feel better when I somehow got on Hoover, which led me to believe that Jefferson (another President street) was nearby. Ten minutes later, I was found...but parking structure D was closed...enter through Gate 3 the sign says. One problem: Where is Gate 3? I am lost...again. "Oh sh*t" moment #3. Luckily, I spot a pedestrian...I roll down my window to ask where is Gate 3...he runs, seriously runs away from me. Sigh. I knew I should've put my eye makeup on this morning. I eventually find Gate 3, but where is my wallet? I need to pay for parking. The trunk. Ugh. "Oh sh*t" moment #4. Run out of the car, open the trunk, retrieve wallet and pay. Make dash for my mock interview with just enough time to grab a sugar donut, which was not at all oily and had such great chewy texture. Yummy!

10:15am: USC Bookstore! And it certainly did not disappoint. It was everything Maryn said it was! Loved it!


This is where my study team rehearsed our case competition presentation during pre-fall. We also discovered that this is a popular photo shoot for model hopefuls.

11:15am: Off to Susina. All those little Italian cookies. Cookies, cookies, cookies. This is all I can think about. Right of Jefferson iPhone says. Only 5.8 miles, 15 minutes away. 15 minutes to cookies. The parking structure exit I take exits Fig. Crap. Where is Jefferson? Well...I guess I'll turn right on Fig...ok bad decision...how bout...left on Flower, that should take me to Jefferson. Nope...leads to the 110. Hmph. Well...I can take 110S to the 10W, right? WRONG. "Oh sh*t" moment #5. Must exit and try again. I saw a Budget Rent-a-Van almost take out a Honda Civic. Thisclose. They were thisclose! Typical LA driving, I assume. Finally! La Brea! I exit and turn right...I think. Well, whichever way it was, it was the wrong way...VERY wrong way. I ended up in a place called Baldwin Hills, I believe. The highlight there was a woman in curlers running through moving traffic on S. La Brea, white shirt and no bra. She runs in front of me. "Oh sh*t" moment #6. How did I know she was not wearing a bra? Close up visuals.

A confused iPhone picture. I meant to photograph the tall buildings. The islander part of me is fascinated with buildings so tall that you have to turn your head to see them.

Mini-meltdown in the car. La Brea/Wilshire.

12:00pm: Lunch! And Cookies! I order a Pear and Brie Panini, pumpkin tart, raspberry chocolate cup petit four and little Italian cookies. Yummy! Getting lost makes me hungry.


Pear and Brie Panini with cornichon

Pumpkin tart and raspberry chocolate petit four


Little Italian Cookies!

1:00pm: Enroute to Sharkeez. Beverly Blvd and the right on N. La Brea. Driving...driving... hmm...why are the houses getting nicer? Hmm...what street is this? Beverly??? "Oh sh*t" moment #7. How the heck do I get to La Brea?? Why am I not on La Brea? iPhone to the rescue. Santa Monica, left on La Brea. 3 miles to the 10W. 3 miles is not far in Irvine, 3 miles in LA is an eternity. So many lights and cars! On a positive note, I saw Pink's and a line of people in 90-degree heat. This reminds of accounting and assets...maybe not so positive after all.

1:30pm: I'm going to be late to Flip Cup. And I still need to change into my bro-hoes costume, which is in the trunk. "Oh sh*t" moment #8. (a minor one) Luckily, my tint is still on, so I could change out of my jeans easily.

2:05pm: Arrive at Sharkeez. Flip Cup ensues. We didn't win, but it was a good time.

Awww...a duck!

6:00pm: Hello Irvine. Mini Arrested Development Marathon.

3 comments:

Ashlyn said...

Hi, Clarice! I'm Ashlyn, Maryn's sister :) I found your blog because Maryn mentioned it on Le Cupcakerie. Super cute - you're a great writer! I feel like I already know you b/c I've heard so much about you from Maryn.

I'm also glad to see that you have love for beets. I love beets too! Our favorite is beet salad: balsamic-roasted beets, arugula, goat cheese, pistachios, good olive oil and balsamic reduction (the reduction is key!), finished with fleur de sel, pepper and a lil' lemon juice.

Maryn said...

OMG I can see you guys forming a club like "Beet Lovers of America." But seriously I had totally forgotten about the "models" and photo shoot we witnessed on campus...that was HILARIOUS.

Unknown said...

invest in a gps