I used to be a huge Whole Foods fan...you know, one of those people that went every Sunday, spending my paycheck on ridiculously overpriced organic foods like, natural, grass-fed beef, which by the way really tasted like grass! Weird, and not in a yummy way! But nonetheless, I loved the old Tustin location. It felt like a boutique-style market with a knowledgeable staff (I knew the meat and seafood guys) and lots of fresh produce (they had the most gorgeous rainbow beets) and specialty products like porcini, real Parmigiano Reggiano and the most delish brownie bites!
But, in true OC style, Whole Foods got a facelift...and I can hardly recognize it. Sure, it's glitzy and HUGE (bordering on monstrous), with a prepared foods section the size of a Starbucks, but (allow me one second of sensitivity here) it feels so incredibly inpersonal and cold. As if that wasn't enough...what genius came up with the idea of a self-serve dessert bar? For the record, scooping your own cake is not yummy. Cakes are displayed and cut, not scooped!
Of course, not everyone shares my sentiments. In fact, I'm sure that most do not...as evidenced by the crowds of customers that flock to Whole Foods. And so is the case in Honolulu. I read that it's so packed there that even the exit is backed up. Honestly, I am impressed with the effort they are making to tailor to local tastebuds...although, I'm pretty sure they can't top McDonald's portugese sausage, eggs and rice deal. They have shoyu chicken (but who can't make shoyu chicken)...and some sort of pineapple-chicken katsu-sushi roll. Hmm...yummy? You tell me.
While we say hello to Whole Foods in Hawaii, we said goodbye to Star Market. Not that I was ever really a fan of Star...they were expensive and never really had what I needed. But, I do remember going to the bakery there when I was little and getting those old-fashioned doughnuts. Mmm...doughnuts. It's always sad to see another local business close because they can't compete with these big mainland companies. Where will I get my No Ka Oi portugese sausage if/when Ah-Fook's closes?
Weekend Adventure:
Juliet's wedding!!! My dear friend and former dorm-mate and roommate from UCI is getting married this weekend in Mexico! Jeannie and I have never been, and as a result, we are over-packed, as usual. Take a look.
L-R: Passports, invite, toilet seat covers, sunblock, multiple wipies, tide pen, purell, first aid kit, aleve, tums, tummy pills, band aids and lingerie tape (inspired by J-Lo).
Not pictured: case of water, capri sun, mountain of snacks
Me, Jeannie and Juliet (bride-to-be). How I miss our reality tv moments.
No comments:
Post a Comment