Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Hinamatsuri!

aka Happy Girls' Day!

Japanese have all kinds of crazy holidays. Girls' Day. Boys' Day. White Day (more on that later). And Christmas cake...which technically is more of a day, than a concept, but crazy all the same. Oh and by the way, you will be hearing about Christmas cake again in the near future. Stay tuned.

But for today, it's Girls' Day. And admittedly, one of my fav of the crazy Japanese holidays. Surprising, I'm sure.

I would delve into the history of Girls' Day and how Japanese people don't really celebrate it anymore, but I may have already been there and done that.

But what I didn't tell you is how Girls' Day is very much celebrated in Hawaii. Even in school! I remember my Wailuku El days when the boys would have to put up the girls' chairs at the end of the day. And the girls got to line up first for lunch. It was awesome. And sometimes the teacher would make us chichidango (a mochi-like snack made with coconut milk and dyed fun colors).

And although I didn't do any of that today, and pushed my own chair in at work (I prefer it that way anyway), I did get something particularly nice in the mail.



Leave it to Mommy to remember such things. A cute card, my fav Hello Pandas...and some strange colorful rice candy...which was disgustingly sweet. But 2 out of 3 isn't bad.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

i got 2 boxes of hello pandas and another type of gummy candy

ps that fat kokeshi doll on the far right reminds me of you

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.