Monday, March 8, 2010

Christmas Cake + 1

You may remember last year, when I first wrote about those crazy Japanese and their Christmas cake.
And I was just 26. So young. Comparatively speaking.

And here we are, one year later, which, if my math is correct is 27.

Gulpppp.

If 26 is Christmas cake, then 27 is the equivalent of moldy Christmas cake. Old like just old cake in general. The kind where the frosting is no longer fluffy and pillowy, but is instead dry and cakey. You know, the kind of cakes you toss. But right before you ceremoniously dump it in the trash, you think, hmm...this cake was so wonderful just yesterday. What happened?

Yes, what happened??? Tell me!! I demand an answer!

But enough being a raincloud. There's nothing like being old and a raincloud. There's even a word for such a person: curmudgeon. And that, I am certainly am not. Not yet anyway.

I've decided that 27 isn't thatttt old. And if it's true, that you're as young as you feel, then I'm in pretty good shape. I may have made a list. And by may, I mean did.

1. Even though, I'm ahem...27, my mom still sends me birthday presents and a nice card. Year after year. My relatives are a different story.

2. I eat Nutella from the jar. A Nutella purist, I like to think. And yes, I use a new spoon when I go for multiple dips. Toast and fruit interfere with my nutella experience.

3. I still get carded! Well, not all the time...but most of the time. And in fact, a security guard in Vegas asked to see my ID in a casino. So I feel that negates all the other times servers forgot to card me. Yes, forgot.

4. I order from the childrens' menu. Because sometimes all you want is a grilled cheese or some chicken fingers with honey mustard and barbecue sauce.

5. I continue to use Oil of Olay for my aging needs. I will need to revise this list the day that changes.

And speaking of crazy Japanese, I will be amongst them in a few short days for school, and lucikly it's not Christmas, so there will be no signs of Christmas cake.

No comments: