Friday, August 29, 2008

Raising the Steaks

Who says you can't have prime rib for lunch?



Especially when it's in a sandwich, which makes it totally lunchable. Today, the BBC went to Lawry's The Carvery for lunch, and it was soooo yummy. I had the prime rib sandwich (medium, please) with roasted red peppers, pepperoncini and cream cheese spread.

But that was over 9 hours ago...I just got back from even more beef at Korean bbq.


The happy diners.



Why we were happy (and full).

I don't know about you, but beef ranks right up there with beets for me. In my opinion, Five Crowns has the best buttery melt-in-your-mouth prime rib, although, I think it's cute English cottage setting helps the cause. I love that Ruth Chris slathers on a pat (or two) of butter on their steaks, and the Wagyu rib eye at Yamashiro is amazing!!!

After dinner, we headed over to Cherry On Top (frozen yogurt)...fyi, their gummi bears aren't as good as Yogurtland. But the true highlight was the bounty of high school Asian loiterers we saw. They were skateboarding (unsuccessfully) and playing music from their cars and dancing...and I thought I had no life. Loved it. I always enjoy free entertainment.

I was in need for this beef therapy to wash away the pain of getting my very first ticket! And for the record, I was going 30 mph, but my ticket was for my window tint, which isn't even that dark. Of course, I got a female, Asian officer so the ticket was completely non-negotiable. She asked me if I wore corrective lenses because she thought it would be difficult for me to see the road with my tinted windows...whatever lady. Then she asked if my bf had a tinting shop!! So basically, I have to get the tint removed, get the ticket signed and then put the tint back on, but perhaps a shade lighter this time. Oh well...at least summer is almost over.

What better way to drink away my sorrows that with some home-brewed beet wine?
Thanks for the recipe, Mike!

BEET WINE RECIPE #1 For one gallon:

2.5 pounds beets
1 gallon water
2.25 pounds sugar
2 teaspoons acid blend
1 teaspoon nutrient
25 teaspoon tannin
1 Campden tablet
1 pkg. wine yeast

Wash beets, skin beets, and cut into small pieces. Place beets in a
nylon bag and boil in 2 quarts water until tender. Pour hot liquor over
sugar in primary and mix. Put bag with pulp in fermentor and stir in
remainder of COLD water. Add all other ingredients except yeast. After
24 hours add yeast. Let ferment.

No comments: