Sunday, April 10, 2011

Challah

Whether or not you're from Hawaii, you're probably very familiar with King's Hawaiian Sweet Bread. Perfect for snacking, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and my personal favorite, french toast. The name "Hawaiian sweet bread" is a bit of a misnomer because the bread is actually Portugese in origin. Pao Doce is the original sweet bread and is made at a few bakeries, but my favorite is from Leonard's on Oahu. It's pillowy soft and rich and slightly sweet.

I've searched around for recipes for sweet bread, but haven't found one compelling enough to try. And I couldn't think of anyone who makes sweet bread who I could ask for the recipe. I mean, there was my 4th grade teacher Mrs. Lung, but I think it was her grandma that did the baking. So when I saw this recipe for challah, a Jewish egg bread, it looked close enough. Eggs, sugar and a shiny brown top.


All the eggs, water and oil make for a very soft dough. Speaking of eggs, I read the recipe wrong and added all 5 eggs to the dough, only to find out later that I was supposed to reserve one for the egg wash. Whoops! That's why they tell you to read recipes through before baking. Sigh.


Sticky doughs can sometimes be tricky, but it just means that it will result in a soft bread. At least that's what I tell myself every time I try to unstick the dough from in between my fingers.


Squidy bread legs. Now here comes the tricky part...braiding. I can't even braid my own hair all that well! And that's only 3 strands. It felt like I was back in 5th grade May Day with the May Pole.


Soooo...of the 4 little loaves, 2 were braided and made into rounds...and 2 were well, just loaves. As you can see, I took some liberties with the braiding.


But they baked up great! The shiny brown crust was no doubt due to the double coating of egg wash.


Sliced! These slices are parked in my freezer for weekend French toast.

Challah is slightly heavier than Portugese sweet bread, and with a more distinct crust, but it is definitely delicious. This week's peanut butter and jelly sandwiches just got a litle bit better.

1 comment:

Maryn said...

Looks incredible! I can't believe all the braiding...looks so pretty when it's done!