Friday, April 29, 2011

Stuffed Pizza

My favorite part about pizza is the crust, specifically the crust baked with tomato sauce and a sprinkling of Parmesan cheese. When I was little, my mom and I would go to this pizza place at Maui Mall, and I would proceed to rip off all the toppings and pile them on the side of my plate. After that place closed, Pizza Hut was my go-to pizza place. I know, I know...Pizza Hut? A little Hawaiian island isn't exactly bursting at the seams with pizza eateries. My mom didn't have her first slice of pizza until her 20's! I can't even imagine.

The thing I really like about Pizza Hut was the richness (read oil-laden) crust. I loved how it was crispy on the outside like a french fry, but soft on the inside. So you would think that it would be totally natural for someone with a pizza crust infatuation to gravitate towards Chicago pizza. I thought so, too! Until I triedone. In Chicago! I was at Uno's a notable pizza place in the city, and I found that Chicago pizza is really nothing like pizza at all. Sliced cheese? Provolone cheese? Sauce on top? I realize this may be pizza blasphemy, but it really wasn't for me.

I had pretty much sworn off all sort of Chicago style pizza until last weekend, when I was poking around the King Arthur website and I saw this recipe for Stuffed Pizza. I was quite dubious, but when I read that this pizza was in fact lidded...and then topped with sauce, I was completely sold. And even better, there was a plethora of commentors saying how it was not "authentic Chicago style pizza". Perfect!

The best part about the pizza was the assembly.


I know it seems like a lot...but this is supposed to make a 3 lb pizza!

Chicken sausage and onions

Spinach and tomatoes. At this point, I realized I forgot to put the cheese, which was supposed to be the second layer. Whoops!

Half pound of sliced mushrooms

Lidded and sauced! It somehow turned out to be 4 lbs!


It was so gooey and delicious! The crust was super tasty from the olive oil and semolina flour.

Only 2 lbs left to go!

It also is lovely as a cold pizza lunch!

1 comment:

Maryn said...

Ummm OMG? Is that thing real? It looks so intense...even for me!