Every year at Christmas, I make my annual migration back to Maui. And this year, insteading of flying straight back to LA, I took a little detour to Lake Tahoe!
Bye bye Maui! I like flying out of Maui in the morning because you can see the sunrise and the volcano from the air.
Hello Tahoe! Well, Reno actually. There was snow on my bag! Snow!!
We flew into Reno and drove down to Tahoe and drove through possibly the most snow I have ever seen. Literally, the roads were covered in ice and snow and it was freezing! But not as cold as NY. Thankfully.
But the snow was so wonderful and fun (as long as you're not driving in it). And perhaps best of all, it was so soft and pillowy! I would literally step and then have snow up to my knees. This also meant that the snow was the absolute perfect landing for the occassional (or frequent) fall when snowboarding.
Look at all those snow covered trees!
I recently started snowboarding a few years ago, and it's been an ongoing learning process. This was also my first time snowboarding since last season...so some re-learning was needed before I was on my way. The good news is that I can finally go down on my left side...previously, I liked to switch sides depending on which direction I needed to go. And the soft snow made falling much more enjoyable. However, the little rain cloud situation is that I did have a minor meltdown on the mountain! It just gets overwhelming sometimes, but my skills really improved post meltdown.
I was pretty sore after 2 days of going up the mountain. It was literally the most snowboarding I've ever done in my life! According to calculations, we did at least one third of the mountain, and I even saw the Nevada side! So by day 3, I decided to take a break and make a snowman.
My first snowman! I had no idea how to make a snowman, so I googled. It was amazing how many how-to snowman guides are out there! I first tested the snow for "packability", and then started rolling away until I got a completed Twiggy. Took me 1.5 hours. But totally worth it. I even gave him a pinecone moustache.
Later that day, we also went sledding at a hill near some houses. Sledding is really fun! Although, I think I'll wear my goggles next time. At one point, the snow from my sled flew up on my face until I couldn't see and I had to emergency crash land. Yay for soft snow!




No comments:
Post a Comment