Me and shave ice go way back.
My very first memories of shave ice are at Sheik's landry mat on Wakea St. We used to roll out there in my dad's blue 1984 Toyota Corolla to what else...wash clothes. Well, just our blankets and such which didn't fit in our little washer. Lucky for me, that Sheik's (now W&F Washerette) had a little shave ice shop inside. Next to the arcades. So I always got a nice mountain of shave ice while waiting for our blankets. Simpler days. Sometimes I didn't finish and took it home. And once, just once, I dropped it all over the car. Mommy got me another one no questions asked. Mom's are great like that.
And honestly, I thought it was just the best shave ice ever. Some people claim that Tom's from Tom's Mini Mart is the best. But I'm guessing those people had large washers with no need to visit a laundry mat. And there is the little shave ice stand in Kihei next to Da Kitchen, which is also pretty amazing after a nap-inducing lunch at Da Kitchen. And these people are pretty awesome for cracking open a new can of condensed milk for each shave ice.
Then, I tried the shave ice at Waiola Shave Ice in Honolulu...and although my laundry mat shave ice will always be near and dear to my tummy, Waiola is now my shave ice gold standard. The ice is beyond soft and pillowy. They seriously must shave the smallest and finest ice crystals ever because it just melts immediately as you eat it. And the amount of syrup they pour on these things is just ridiculous and excessive and I absolutely luv it.
So since I'm only home once a year and at Honolulu even less, I go through major shave ice withdrawals. Until I read about this shave ice truck...seriously genius idea...only problem is that these fancy LA foodtrucks never ever come down to Orange County. (Sniffle) And, then they decided to open a store...in LA (sniffle, sniffle). So all I've done is read about the amazingness and deliciousness that is the Get Shaved truck.
That is, until yesterday! I had my very own serving of Get Shaved shave ice (Monkey Brain flavor) nicely packed in ice and a cooler and transported all the way to Irvine. It was totally in tact and not melted and incredible! So refreshing and yummy! Best thing all weekend!
No comments:
Post a Comment