Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Carne Asada Fries

Even I have a limit as to how many salads I can eat.

And asparagus pizzas.  Frittatas and cherry tomato anything. 


And since we're technically not in summer anymore, I don't feel as guilty about passing over the  nearly 2 pounds of tomatoes in the fridge and throwing some frozen fries in the oven until they're a sizzling oily mess of potato-y goodness.  Welllll ok, so today is technically the last day of summer, and I ate these on Sunday.  Details, details.

But after seeing this post, there was no other alternative.  Summer or not.  Nevermind the fridge stuffed silly with tomatoes, basil, asparagus and pluots.  Before I knew it, I was off to the store stocking up on more jarred items than I'll admit to.  Tostito's con queso dip?  Check.  Jarred sliced jalapenos?  Check.  Salsa Especial from Trader Joe's? Check.  And of course, a big bag of Ore Ida Golden Fries.

After assuming my role as star outfielder in a co-ed rec softball game, resistance to something like carne asada fries is futile.

But see!  If you look closely, there are some halved cherry tomatoes!

I was slightly disappointed with the lack of char on the carne asada...but alas, it's the result of another summer without a grill.  The broiler does what it can.  As a silver lining, the mojo marinade via Tyler Florence was totally legit.  I have a total soft spot for mojo's...Cuban as they may be...for these umm...Mexican carne asada...but it works.  It's the orange aka my fav superfruit citrus.  Works in scones, icings and mojos! 

And what better way to top off a multi-thousand calorie dinner than with an equally heavy cake.

Otherwise known as Pastel Imposible...impossible because you put the chocolate cake layer on the bottom of the pan, and the flan on top and poof! when it bakes, it inverts.  Pretty cool, huh?  And tasty!  Omg, it is so good...except for one small detail, that I could not get the cake to bake all the way.  Even after an extra 30 minutes in the oven.  And when it's like 90-degrees outside, leaving your oven on for unnecessary amounts of time is just...well, unnecessary.

I'm going to try this again at some point because the cooked part was just too good for me to fail at this recipe. 

And the 283 reviewers seem to agree.

No comments: