Saturday, August 14, 2010

The New To Do List

 And by new, I mean completely and totally devoid of anything relating to school, studying, group meetings, Power Point presentations and homework.

Instead it's a list of stuff I want to do. 

Like, research paletas recipe...find popsicle molds for paletas...look for a night stand...work out...bake chocolate loaf cake...find a pitcher for sangria...look for ice tray that makes perfectly square ice cubes...start organizing my spice collection...catch up on my Barefoot Contessa and Giada at Home episodes saved on TiVo (luv luv TiVo).

In no particular order of course.

Life without school has been pretty awesome.  I think if anything, school reminds you about how much you want to make use of your time...especially free time!  Hence, the continuation of the to-do lists...I want to get all the fun stuff in, too!  

Like...


Deliciously gooey slow cooker enchiladas.  Totally reminded me of nacho cheesy wonderfulness.


Snickerdoodles dough balls going for a roll in cinnamon and sugar.


Finished snickerdoodles.  Which is basically a sugar cookie rolled in cinnamon sugar, but for some reason always hits the spot.  I have yet to figure out why I adore them so.


Cheesecake swirl brownies about to go in the oven. 


Breakfast pizza.  I have been wanting to make this for months! 


Breakfast fruit crisp with a peach and a handful each of strawberries and blueberries.  Really good with a dollop of Greek yogurt and a drizzle of honey.


Leisurely Saturday brunch/breakfast.


Pasta with hazelnut and parsley pesto.  Weird?  Yeah, kinda.  Can't win em all.

And there were also these amazingly wonderful double chocolate chip cookies with almonds.  That Ina Garten knows her cookies.

Just when you thought crisps and crumbles were for dessert, a scoop of yogurt makes them breakfast!  There is actually only 2 Tablespoons of butter in the topping, which also qualifies it as healthy...if you're asking me.  I had 7 strawberries and a 1/4 cup of blueberries languishing...ok withering away in my fridge, to the point where they weren't servable as a fruit salad, but perfectl acceptable hidden under a crumbly layer of oats and almonds.

Breakfast Crisp

For the filling:

1 large-ish peach (2 if using just peaches)
a handful each of strawberries and blueberries, or any other berry on hand
1-2 Tablespoons flour (depending on your fruit mix)
1 Tablespoon maple syrup (or brown sugar, also depending on your fruit mix)
Pinch of cinnamon

For the topping:

2 Tablespoons butter, melted
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 Tablespoons flour
1/3 cup rolled oats
Pinch of salt
Pinch of ground cardamom
2 Tablespoons sliced almonds, pecans or walnuts

1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
2. Slice the peaches into thin wedges, or chunks if you prefer.  Toss the peach slices, strawberries, blueberries with the flour, maple syrup (or sugar) and cinnamon.
3. Prepare the topping.  Combine the melted butter, sugar, flour, oats, salt cardamom (if using) and almonds.  Mixture should be sandy and crumbly.  Squish the topping in your hand if you prefer a more crumble-y texture.
4. Put the fruit in a small baking dish (I used a teeny tiny 5"x8" Pyrex) and top with crisp topping.
5. Bake for 20-25 minutes until browned and bubble-y.

Serve alongside Greek yogurt with a drizzle of honey or syrup.  Or ice cream! 

No comments: