Monday, October 12, 2009

Studying MNF

Oops. I mean "Studying and MNF". "And" being the operative word.

First up, MNF. Jets at Miami Dolphins. I just hoped it wouldn't be the Mark Sanchez show...again. Mark Sanchez this, Mark Sanchez that, blah blah blah. But ohh I was sooo wrong. This game was soooo awesome. Tons of lead changes in the 4th quarter. And lots and lots of good passing. And a controversial call that cost the Jets a TD, but you knew they scored anyway. And then they lost! Such a good game!!

And of course, an already good game can only get better with some gametime munchies. Umm...munchies help with studying, too. Anyway, I made some tzatziki sauce when I made my lamb-stuffed eggplants...which I forgot to eat with my eggplant! So I was of course determined to eat that tzaziki somehow. Like...with a batch of homemade pita chips. And no, the pitas are not homemade, but the chips are. And I don't think I can ever eat bagged pita chips again! And I don't think you should either. Pita chips like these don't come in a bag. Unless of course, if you bag them. Then they do.



Homemade Pita Chips with Tzatziki

I like to make my chips in small batches so I can eat them allll, and make fresh chips when needed.

Pita chips
2 pitas (whole wheat, white...you be the judge)
a drizzle of olive oil (I'd say 1-1.5 Tbsp)
1/2 tsp salt
7 grinds black pepper
1/4 tsp cumin

1. Preheat the oven to 425-degrees.
2. Cut the pitas into wedges. I like to get 8 wedges/pita.
3. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle on the spices. And feel free to get creative with the spices! If you want a little spicy, go for some cayenne. Or some chili powder would go well with the cumin. Or maybe some powdered garlic and some parmesan cheese? Mmm...
4. Toss with your hands to evenly coat the pita wedges.
5. Bake for 10-12 mins. Checking after 7 for crispiness.

Sort of tzatziki

This is not a traditional tzatziki, but I like it. Lots. It's not too garlicky, but it is quite tart. Oh and there's some feta. So much for tradition.

7 ounces reduced fat Greek yogurt (I like Fage)
1/2 English cucumber
1/2 lemon, juiced
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. salt, divided
1/4 tsp. black pepper
12 mint leaves, julienne
2 Tbsp. feta crumbles (optional)

1. Grate the cucumber, and squeeze out all the water.
2. Combine the yogurt, grated cucumber, lemon juice, 1/2 tsp salt and pepper.
3.. Paste the garlic: Crush the clove of garlic with the side of your knife. Sprinkle the remaining 1/2 tsp salt on the garlic and finely chop garlic. Now on to the pasting. Using the side of your knife again, lay it flat on the diced garlic and drag it over it, using the salt to abrade it into a paste. Return to chopping, knife dragging and abrading until the garlic is officially a salty paste. Add to the yogurt mixture.
4. Sprinkle the mint and feta crumbles. Fold.
5. Refrigerate until game time.

Oh. And I said there was studying. There was. It's just not blog worthy. Something something... net operating cash flow...something something... rate of return... compiled, audited, reviewed. MB>MC. Jk. Wrong class.

Oh and there was sports trash talk via Gmail chat. About what else...the Clippers?

mike: WOW
these ain't your parents Clippers
Clippers 2k
me: hahahah
thats hilarious
mike: Clippers Vista
me: vista sucks
mike: Clippers Snow Leopard
me: but...i guess that fits
mike: ok im gonna stop talking to u tonight

And he did! Ha. Sorry Mike.

No comments: