My first taste of Indian was several year ago at an Indian lunch buffet. And I mostly remember my fascination with the little triangular samosas and how at some point, I had an entire plate full of them and a few naan. My second round of Indian food came a few years later, and then a third, and fourth...and so many that I can't keep track. And I'm sure you know what happened next. No less than 3 Indian cookbooks have been added to the bookshelf, and little jars of cardamom and cumin seeds have been added to the spice drawer.
Yet despite all this guidance, I have consistently only produced mediorce Indian food. It's been a little crushing to my culinary ego. But that only means that I've been making the same things again, and again...and again. Luckily, my taste tester is polite enough to not complain about the Groundhog Day of Indian food around here. But finally, after 5 or so tries at naan, I think I got this one right!
Interesting enough, this is the only recipe I tried that was not a yeasted dough! Even the naan at the stores have yeast. (Yes, I checked!) This dough is hydrated with a generous dose Greek yogurt, which I think is what makes it so soft. The leavening is from baking soda and baking powder. The charred spots are from finishing right on the grates on the stove!
Finally! Success! So now the score is - Clarice: 1, Indian food: 10
I sense a comeback

No comments:
Post a Comment